News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

This picture is utterly fantastic! For me, it answers two important questions.

First, it confirms the fact that with this order, when a higher degree was awarded, if the lower degree had swords, it was still worn along with the higher degree which would have the swords on ring... For clearer pictures of the two awards on this bar, refer to post #45 and the example below. This cross is from the period of 1908-1913. Therefore some details will differ from the one in the picture.

With regard to higher degrees and swords, I was surprised when no one noted or questioned the silver swords on the officer?s cross in post #61. The reason that this point was emphasized is that, as the result of extensive research by the late Eric Ludvigsen, it was determined that these crosses when awarded for military merit were to have gold swords. However, if the recipient had the swords in a lower degree, the swords on the officer?s cross should be silver. Because this information is not documented, I welcome any discussion on this point.

Returning to Komtur?s picture and my second (now answered) question. Rick?s speculation is correct; Major Gutkind is indeed wearing a Brunswick 1833-86 officer?s 25 year long service cross; and the picture confirms the fact that ?se should be 90 degrees to the plane of the cross. Examples with the ?se at the plane of the cross are around. I would say that, for me at least, this picture answers the question as to the position of the ?se.

the 1833-86 1st class Landwehr decoration is quite similar.

... and this last one Gutkind must be wearing, because he is a Major der Landwehr and Kommerzienrat.

On the picture he is still Hauptmann, but he signs as Major on the back.

Kind Regards, Komtur.

Edited by Komtur

... and this last one Gutkind must be wearing, because he is a Major der Landwehr and Kommerzienrat.

On the picture he is still Hauptmann, but he signs as Major on the back.

Kind Regards, Komtur.

Thank you for pointing this out. I stand corrected.

Wild Card :beer:

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

Hello:

I'm new to the GMIC forum, but my interest in items Braunschweig is long standing. Here are my contributions to this spectacular thread.

Best regards,

Charles

HdLGK.jpg

The hallmark on the Grand Cross is a star above the letter "S," presumably for the Hof-Juwelier Siebrecht.

P1010032.jpg

Star to the Grand Cross:

HdLBzG.jpg

Hallmarks: Hermann J?rgens

P1010017.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Knight's Cross, 1st Class

HdLR1K.jpg

Hallmarks: interlaced "HJ" for Hermann J?rgens, crescent moon, crown, and 900

P1010046.jpg

Star to the Knight's Cross

HdLSzR.jpg

Hallmark: H. Rose Schwerin

P1010027.jpg

OOhhh my eyes :cool:

Thanks for sheering. They look great items and very very nice collection! I have not seen any Braunschweig order on sale yet... now I know why and where they all are going :cheeky:

First of all, Welcome to GMIC Charles great to see you here :cheers: Secondly, that is one killer collection of Braunschweig House Orders that you have there Chas. As yet I've not been fortunate in finding any of these to add to my collection :banger: but I live in hope.

Mike