News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Medals

stefan9633

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[attachmentid=47420]

SAPrS Medal for Faithful Service Silver

[attachmentid=47421]

SAPrS Medal for Faithful Service

[attachmentid=47422]

SAPrS Medal for Faithful Service

[attachmentid=47423]

SAPrS Medal for Faithful Service Bronze

Some assorted other medals

[attachmentid=47427]

Johannesburg Fire Service medal

[attachmentid=47429]

First Aid League Medal

[attachmentid=47430]

Order for Meritorious Service

[attachmentid=47431]

Order of Ikhamanga (mini)

[attachmentid=47432]

Order of Luthuli (mini)

[attachmentid=47433]

Order of Mapungubwe (mini)

[attachmentid=47434]

Order of Mendi Decoration for Bravery (mini)

[attachmentid=47435]

Order of the Boabab (mini)

[attachmentid=47436]

Order of the Companions of OR Tambo

Now these are medals i havent been able to id

They are probably a mix of APLA and uMkontho we Sizhe medals

If anybody could help out, it would be appreciated

No inscriptions on back, just RSA emblem and issue number

[attachmentid=47437]

[attachmentid=47438]

[attachmentid=47439]

[attachmentid=47440]

Nice post, many thanks. I always like learning about new things, and South Africa is especially complex, especially with the transition in awards ideology and iconography from apartheid to post-apartheid. It is always interesting to see how such political and social changes are reflected in the awards.

Thanks again! :beer:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I decided to post these as i wanted to share the huge diversity of medals we have here in South Africa.

As you could see from these there was a huge Dutch influence, especially in the ribbon designs wich came from the old RSA flag, with was a variation on the Dutch flag, the differnce being the red in the Dutch flag was changed to orange to show that while we came from Dutch heritage, it had been a bit "diluted", for example: the old flags they used in the Cape Colony had been bleached by the sun and salt air.

When they decided to adopt a flag of own when we became independant, they decided to use as basis for the new flag a Dutch flag, replacing the red with orange and the centre mounting miniature flags of the three major provinces; the Union Jack for the Cape and Natal Province, the fla of the Orange Free State (read Dutch Free State, as this was language spoken by the settlers) and the Four Colours - "Die Vierkleur" of the Transvaal.

[attachmentid=47505]

Edited by stefan9633

Hi Steph,

Very interesting thread. I particularly like the SAP Silver Cross for Gallantry medal. Could you tell us a bit more about it. The criteria for it, how many have been awarded, etc. Any citations?

Sorry man

Im in Wales at the moment, visiting the girlfriend, so I dont have access to my files.

Im afraid though that I dont know alot about the SAP Silver Cross for Gallantry. If I remember correctly, the pic was sent in to me from a friend in Florida, who photographed it from one of his buddy's collection. I'll check around and if i can find anything for you, I'll post it.

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...

I have been busy on my South Africa section recently, so perhaps you'd like to see...

This is the De Wet Medal. Instituted 1987 and awarded for 10 years' efficient service in the Territorial Reserve.

Here is the Good Service Medal - Medalje vir Troue Diens in die Suid Afrikaanse Weemag.

It was instituted 1975, and awarded for exemplary service in the regular forces, in 3 grades (Gold, Silver and Bronze). This is the 1st Type, awarded 1975-86, and is the Silver Medal, for 20 years service.