News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian Merchant Seaman - Jack Hammond Linfoot

Guest Darrell

• Replies 77
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

Well that's it guys. Thanks for looking.

Some of the documents are small, too bad thats the limitations of this site. I have them in original scanned size if someone would like a particular piece blown up so it is easier to read.

Guest Rick Research

Post #11 shows entry in New York City 10/6/44 "refused to proceed?"

What on earth were those ships CARRYING going around and around and AROUND the world?

One particularly wonders about the July 1946 trip that went from Haifa (so in the news today) and Poti in Soviet Georgia :speechless1: and the May 1948 trip to Nikolaev and Odess in the Black Sea! :speechless1:

Things were NOT going very well between Canada and the Soviet Union, what with their spy ring being busted and so on up there.

What cargoes were carried/fetched/toted?

He was very very lucky in his wartime travels never to have been torpedoed--especially having been in both U- and I-boat seas.

What are the 7th and last medals?

Guest Darrell

Post #11 shows entry in New York City 10/6/44 "refused to proceed?"

What on earth were those ships CARRYING going around and around and AROUND the world?

One particularly wonders about the July 1946 trip that went from Haifa (so in the news today) and Poti in Soviet Georgia :speechless1: and the May 1948 trip to Nikolaev and Odess in the Black Sea! :speechless1:

Things were NOT going very well between Canada and the Soviet Union, what with their spy ring being busted and so on up there.

What cargoes were carried/fetched/toted?

He was very very lucky in his wartime travels never to have been torpedoed--especially having been in both U- and I-boat seas.

What are the 7th and last medals?

Hi Rick,

I was in awe looking at where this guy travelled. The places you mention ... also how many times did they go to Gibralter etc. What a globe trotter.

The 7th Medal is:

Korea Voluntary Service Medal - Many members of the RCN, Canadian Army and RCAF who served in Korea did not accumulate the requisite amount of service to qualify for the Queen's Korea War Medal, and so they were only awarded the United Nations Korea Service Medal.

Forty years after the event, a Voluntary Service Medal was approved: basically, anyone who received the United Nations Korea Service Medal received the new Korea Voluntary Service Medal.

Last two medals:

The Queen Elizabeth Coronation Medal 1953

The Canadian Centennial Medal 1967

Guest Darrell

Nice Set Darrell!

And even nicer long medalbar!

I see he even got down here to our little port Lyttelton....!!

here in the south Island of New Zealand...

He certainly got around...

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, yep, there was not too many places he DIDN'T visit.

As a side note ... a few other's on a couple different sites have reviewed his Port-of-Calls and say he should have been eligible for a Burma Clasp on his Pacific Star. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Decided to put the few odds and ends into a frame. Not Museum quality, but keeps things together nicely :beer:

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Well today the research papers arrived for his Korean Service 1950-1952. Some of the researched papers are Legal Size. Thus I have splice them together where appropriate. Hopefully they are not too hard to read.