News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Nogi

Dieter3

Paid a recent visit to the Nogi Shrine and Mansion in Tokyo, highly recommend it if you are visiting Tokyo. On the grounds you can visit the mansion in which he committed suicide along with his wife - you can't go in, but you can walk around it and get right up close. It's a really quite nice and seems to have been well-maintained over the years. Unfortunately, I couldn't get really good interior shots for the glare and my inability with a camera, you'll see what I did get below. Also on the grounds is of course the shrine dedicated to him that includes a small visitor's room (can't quite call it a center) that contains some of his personal items. I knew that at least some of his awards existed somewhere, I though they were at the shrine, but one attendant said they were not, he really had no idea about their existence. I regret tremendously not having enough time to visit the grave site of the Nogi Family in Aoyama cemetary, despite being located so closely to the Nogi Shrine.

Well, these weren't at the shrine - but they were on loan from the shrine - visited the Battleship Mikasa, and they had just started a new exhibit called the "Spirit of Japan" - which just so happened to have to my great delight a small display case with a few of the General's items including his Orders of the Golden Kite and Sacred Treasure:

post-6375-077518100 1288377986_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dieter3

The condition isn't all that great, tarnishing, enamel damage. The sash is their in the bottom of the case. You can't see it here, but in a photo I found elsewhere, it isn't in greatest condition either, but it is all there. Simply a treat to have found these and seen them unexpectedly!

post-6375-007932500 1288378040_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dieter3

This one is in better condition than the Golden Kite. Notice the little box in the corner of the case - rosette must be in there?? Were all rosettes originally placed in these tiny boxes?? I've seen a lot of rosettes in these boxes, but didn't know if they were simply replacements or if originals were given in them....????

post-6375-071205900 1288378510_thumb.jpg

I have no idea where his other awards may be, perhaps stored somewhere at the shrine or other museum in Japan???

Edited by Dieter3

The window at the top of the house looks out from the room that his sons used. The one on the bottom right was used by his wife, the bottom left where the two committed suicide. I don't recall which one, but at least one of the trees in the fore was planted (or ordered planted) by Douglas MacArthur:

post-6375-084331900 1288379418_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a larger of the portrait I wanted to share you with you all - this is actually a scan of a professional photo of the portrait shown above.

Questions for you seasoned experts - 1) What is the order in the center? 2) The Rising Sun w/Paulownia Flowers is superior to the Rising Sun, but is it superior to the Golden Kite? (It must be, or else he would be wearing the sash for the Golden Kite right?)

GeneralNogi.jpg

Dieter,

The Order of the Rising Sun with Pawlonia Flowers is superior to the Golden Kite. The only order higher than it is the Order of the Chrysanthemum. Hence why he wears this is preference to the Golden Kite.

The order in the centre is the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath from Britain. He was made an honorary knight after the Russo Japamnese War since Britain and Japan were quasi allies at that time.

The medals on his medal bar are the Imperial Constitution Promulgation Medal, Meiji 25th Wedding Anniversary Medal, 1894-95 War Medal, 1904-05 War Medal and Red Cross Special Member's Medal.

Regards, Paul

Edited by Paul L Murphy