News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recipients of St.Henry, German East-Africa, Schutztruppe

Hello readers:

the following officers were made Knights of the Saxon St.Henry order and received the insignias following there return to Germany after the end of the war:

-Gen.Maj. Paul v.Lettow-Vorbeck, received on 30.Jan.1920;

The following officers were affiliated with the Royal Saxon Army:

-Gen.Lt.z.D. Kurt Wahle, Knight with date of 19.Jul.1917 and Commander 2nd class, received

on 29.Oct.1920;

-Oblt.d.R. Ralph Wahle, (son of the Gen.Lt. K.Wahle, above) received on 12.Mar.1920;

-Oblt.d.Lw. Gottfried Schulze, received on 31.Jan.1922 ( this officer was also wounded four

times);

- Lt.d.R. Arthur Winkelmann, received on 20.Mar.1920.

On a personal note: I was privileged in 1942 or 43 to have been introduced with the other members of my form to Gen.v.Lettow-Vorbeck while attending the school in Bremen named after him. Perhaps it can be understood what an impression this made!

Sources: "Das Offizierskorps der Schutztruppe fuer Deutsch-Ostafrika im Weltkrieg 1914-1918";

and

"Der Koenigliche Saechsische Militaer-St.Heinrichs-Orden 1736 - 1918, Ein Ehrenblatt

der Saechsischen Armee"

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Guest Rick Research

Von Lettow-Vorbeck made an impression everywhere he went. :beer:

I've never seen anything that listed the ACTUAL award dates, post-war, for Saint Henry bestowals.

Von Lettow-Vorbeck made an impression everywhere he went. :beer:

I've never seen anything that listed the ACTUAL award dates, post-war, for Saint Henry bestowals.

Hello Rick.

It is possible that necessary records were not available to the exiled Royal family to establish a date so that the insignias of the order were handed over with perhaps a pertinent, generic document. Gen.Lt. Wahle's Knights Order was the only one dated (1917)

BTW: the school I attended during the war was of course renamed following May 1945 in order to eradicate all traces of militarism and renamed after a communist teacher. It seems Gen.v.Lettow-Vorbeck enjoyed a far better reputation in other countries and still does, than in his own.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 8 months later...

On a personal note: I was privileged in 1942 or 43 to have been introduced with the other members of my form to Gen.v.Lettow-Vorbeck while attending the school in Bremen named after him. Perhaps it can be understood what an impression this made!

Bernhard H. Holst

That's amazing that you met Gen von Lettow-Vorbeck in person! That must indeeed have left a great impression. Do you remember any details of the day or your impressions of him?

All the best

Chris

That's amazing that you met Gen von Lettow-Vorbeck in person! That must indeeed have left a great impression. Do you remember any details of the day or your impressions of him?

All the best

Chris

\Hello Chris.

I do retain some impression as follows:

it must have been in 1942-early 1943 when we were led into the "Buergerpark" quite near our school by a lady teacher. She suddenly halted us when a distinguished gentleman came our way. She addressed him thus: " Good morning, general.( Herr General) I would like to introduce class so-and so of the school which is named after you. Class say good moring. " Now we of course knew who this distinguisshed, small in stature gentleman, dressed in a dark suit was. Gen. v. Lettow-Vorbeck said some words such as doing a good job in scholl and thanked the teacher for the introduction.

BTW the park is the place were the Colonial Monument is situated, a huge elephant built from brick, a monster.

Of course the school after WW II was renamed and after a communist teacher persecuted by the regime in power 1933 - 1945

Bernhard H. Holst