News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870-71 War Medal Battle Bars By Units

Guest Rick Research

I can take no credit for anything but retyping this chart from the late 1970s/early 1980s, origin now lost in time., though I have found notes suggesting it came from Eric Ludvigsen or George Seymour.

Two pages since it is too big to fit. Columns DOWN are all bars "@" by Army Corps (AK) or Cavalry Division (KD). "B" = Bavarian, "S" = Saxon. Where 1/2 or 1/4 or named divisions or subunits are mentioned, those were all of the larger column unit present. I have no more detailed information than this.

For the use and enjoyment of my "19th century" friends! Please credit me at GMIC for any onward use of this material.

Guest Rick Research

the rest. Because the final column down's units do not "fit" in the vertical columns, read them horizontally-- 3rd Reserve Division was at Metz and Noisseville, etc.

NOTE: I am now (April 2007) in possession of the late Eric Ludvigsen's AMAZINGLY detailed analysis of combinations of bars down to very small unit entitlements. Simply post your medal bars with combinations that do not "match" the above Divisional combinations as normal threads and I will look the combination up. The paper version cannot be easily read since it is probably over 60 pages long!

Edited by Rick Research