News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

L1X Collar badge

What's the number in real money - 59th? I don't think that any of the old British "59ths" had Scottish links, so yes, looks like a commonwealth unit collar badge, possibly the Canadian Stormont & Glengarry Highlanders who had been numbered 59th.

I don't know about value though.

What's the number in real money - 59th? I don't think that any of the old British "59ths" had Scottish links, so yes, looks like a commonwealth unit collar badge, possibly the Canadian Stormont & Glengarry Highlanders who had been numbered 59th.

I don't know about value though.

Thank you for your replies, yes the above is 59th, and that indicated it is not a British Scottish line regiment. I suspected Canada, and even sent off some e mails and letters to possible modern regiments with links there, but recieved no replies. My interest and collection consists of British badges, This piece was in my late Father's swaps/sale box.

A quick check on wikipedia -

"The 1855 Militia Act introduced voluntary service, and the United Counties raised four independent companies in 1862. After the 1866 Fenian raid, which aroused great fear of invasion, these companies and four others amalgamated in 1868 to form the 59th Stormont and Glengarry Battalion of Infantry, which was called out against the Fenians in 1870."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stormont,...rry_Highlanders

So could be 59th Stormont & Glengarry Bn of Infantry, formed 1868.