News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi ,everyone. I'm a new probationer -intoduced myself in The Lounge on Feb.9 , under 'another newbie' . I have been enjoying reading past posts and found two oldish ones I would like to comment-on. HAUPTMAN Jan.20/07 and EDUARDO Nov.4/06 hope you don't think this is too late? Firstly - the rope , with handles, is an early form of handcuff - original use pre-dated metal handcuffs which basically date from the 17th.C. onwards. British ones were usually of rawhide, with wooden handles - the rawhide wouldn't slip like rope - hence the knots. They were always known as 'snitchers' and it is the length that confirms the purpose. Interestingly, garrotting - which originally started in India as a form of worship to a goddess - was carried out using a coin tied in a length of silk. This was thrown round the victim's neck and tightened. The practise had spread to Britain and the first Met.police in 1829 wore a 4inch leather neck band to act as a guard. They wore this to 1845 when it was reduced to 2inches and was not abolished until 1875 - a most hated and uncomfortable piece of equipment but, it kept the tunic collar clean.. My second response is regarding the interesting corres. on tipstaves these are so rare that few people have ever seen one and when researching my book (The Policeman's Lot) we could only find about 2000 in existance. I would be very happy to write posts on any of the following - this would get the early history out for comments. 1.Early British police uniforms; 2.Helmets and headgear; 3. Forms of restraint; 4. Raing the alarm; 5.Police firearms; 6. Police swords; 7.Police lanterns;8. Development of truncheons; 9.What is a tipstaff. These are only suggestions and I await comments. I do hope members won't think I'm 'pushy' - that is not the intention. Best wishes Mervyn Mitton

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

• 1 month later...

I appreciate your encouragement - with the internet you can never judge what people are thinking , and I appreciate that Police are not top of the collecting 'heap'. I have a number of good photos of rare tipstaffs, recently taken for a customer in the States - once I master my 'Photo Impressions' programme I will down load them to GMIC. Meanwhile,if you really think people would be interested I will do a few condensed articles.

Thankyou Mervyn Mitton

Guest Rick Research

Believe me, as an enthusiast of the arcane and obscure-- post and you'll be amazed how many other people are Out There interested in the same things, who have otherwise been labouring in solitary obscurity for years. (Still obscure but no longer solitary! :cheeky: ) :cheers:

But I don't know what/where your first posting up top refers back to-- you should have added it as a reply (and an extremely interesting and informative reply) to wherever that was rather than starting a new post.

If somebody can find it and post the link I will try to combine these threads without erasing everything. :speechless1:

Hi Mervyn,

After a few posts on this Forum, my approach is to post something that may even only interest a solitary forum member. Militaria, etc is such a dynamic and vast field and there are as many varied interests as there are topics.

The effort is validated when someone takes an interest or even just reads the post!

Sharing information, enthusiasm and knowledge is what it is all about.

Post Away!

Regards,

Will

P.S. Should be in SA over the next few days, so hope to see you again.