News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The SA Police were formed in 1913 - from a mix of small forces, many of which had sprung-up after the Boer War. There were two patterns of helmets - the first similar to a British helmet in shape and with a similar helmet plate. This is the 2nd. pattern - dating fom the 1930's to just after the 2nd. WW. Because of the SA habit of giving items like this to the gardener, not many have survived - however, the plates are available.

Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

I have a different variant used during the 1922 Johannesburg strike, dating can also be done using the specific badge on the helmet. I will post it as soon as I receive the photographs from home. Keep the posts coming!

Regards,

Will

This is one of the similar helmets I have in my collection. The major difference is the Helmet Plate which is a white metal version. This very rare helmet plate was only worn by Native Constables from 1913 to 1926. It is Number 1897 in Colin Owen's definitive book on Military Badges for Southern Africa.