News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Unknown Fatality From WWI

A photograph that I've had for years, this man may be identifiable from his insgnia & collar number & force records.

A white metal King's Crown helmet plate, on Home Office pattern helmet with blackened rose, blackened metal helmet band & a central fore & aft seam to the fabric.

Collar insigna a King's Crown & "90", shoulder insignia "A" over a crest or device f some kind, rather than a letter or numeral, a badge one the upper right sleeve - similar outline to the old 15th Hussars cap badge & about the same size, presumably a form of St John's badge in white metal although I have'nt seen one with a scroll beneath the circular design before.

White meta buttons & whistle chain.

The photographer was "H. J. SHEAMAN, 35 Nevill St., Southport & Branches."

I know Southport Borough Police wore a shield an oval shield withing strap device on the shoulder strap at one time, but I don't know if that applies to the period that this photograph was taken.

A Southport, Merseyside police officer?

The photograph will have been taken sometime between the adoption of King Edward Vii's King's Crown, so from about 1902 - 1915, as written in pencil on the back is simply "Killed in Action Jan 16. 1916."