News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victorian Founders Jewel ?

bengullion

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bengullion

Definitely from Philbrick Lodge, as confirmed by others, although I have my doubts as to it being a Founder's jewel - there's quite a good picture of a Founder's jewel for this Lodge at

Philbrick Lodge Founder's jewel at UGLE Museum <click>

and as you can see, there are a few differences. I suspect this to be a Member's jewel which, although not used by many Lodges today, were quite popular up to the beginning of the 1939-45 war. During the war, with the consequent shortage of metals, it was deemed unpatriotic to indulge in the previous fashion of having many jewels and the issue/award/wearing of jewels (other than Founder's, Past Master's and Charity jewels) became much more restricted by common consent.

For those of you who are interested, the Lodge is named after Frederick Adolphus Philbrick Q.C., who served as Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Essex and Grand Registrar for England. A lawyer and county court judge, he was also a keen stamp collector and one of the founders of the Philatelic Society. The ribbon device is the heraldic crest of the Philibert family, consisting of a leopard's head painted in enamel with a gold coloured metal crown around its neck emerging from a crown made of stone blocks (mural crown).

Kind regards,

WM5806