leigh kitchen

The British Army Line Infantry Training & Administration Brigades 1948 - 1968.

28 posts in this topic

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

After WWII British army had 14 infantry HQ's & a large number of depots administering to the regular infantry, organised territorially or by historical traditions.

Designated by letter - eg Infantry Depot "B" was that of the Lowland regiments, Infantry Depot "E" that of the regiments recruited in the counties of Yorkshire & Northumberland, Infantry Depot "J" that of the various regiments of Light Infantry.

In 1948 the depots adopted names, thus Infantry Depot "B" became the Lowland Brigade, Infantry Depot "E" the Yorkshire & Northumberland Brigade & Infantry Depot "J" The Light Infantry Brigade, & regimental depots gave way to centralised training by the new, named depots.

At the same time, the regular battalions of line infantry regiments were reduced to a single battalion, & cross postings became more common between the regiments of a depot.

During the next 20 years a large number of amalgamations but only two disbandments of infantry regiments took place, & the brigades themselves also underwent a process of change.

In the Defence Review announced in July 1957 the infantry of the line was to be reorganised, a series of amalgamations taking place.

In 1958, Brigade cap badges, were introduced to be worn instead of the regimental ones.

Some Brigades adopted a Brigade pattern of collar badge or button although some regiments retained regimental pattern collar badges etc.

Sometimes these insignia were of "new" amalgamated regiments which never had a regimental cap badge, or at least, its regular battalion did’nt – ironically some TA units wore regimental cap badges complete with battle honours won by their regular battalion while the regulars wore Brigade badges.

In 1968 the Training Brigades gave way to administrative divisions - a simplification would be that eg, The Fusilier Brigade became The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, the Home Counties Brigade became The Queen's Regiment & the East Anglian Brigade became The Royal Anglian Regiment, all three regiments being part of The Queen's Division.

By this time all of the regular line infantry still survived in one form or another, albeit most in amalgamated form, other than the two which had chosen disbandment over amalgamation.

The cap badges of the Training Brigades, circa 1958 - circa 1968:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 2   Posted (edited)

The Lowland Brigade

In 1948, "Infantry Depot B" which hade been the HQ for the Scottish lowland regiments became depot of The Lowland Brigade, formed on 14/7/1948 & merging the depots of:

The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment)

The Royal Scots Fusiliers

The King's Own Scottish Borderers

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

In 1957 The Highland Light Infantry transferred from The Highland Brigade, to amalgamate with The Royal Scots Fusiliers to form the Royal Highland Fusiliers on 20/1/1959.

In 1958 the regiments adopted a Brigade cap badge, common to all, the saltire of St. Andrew, superimposed on this a thistle within a circlet which was inscribed with the motto of the Order of the Thistle, "nemo me impune lacessit".

The Territorial Battalions of the four Lowland Regiments were grouped together in 1967 & eventually forming the 52nd Lowland Volunteers.

The Brigade continued to administer ts four regular regiments until 1968, when on 14/5/68, having chosen not to amalgamate, The Cameronians were disbanded.

On 1/7/68 The Lowland Brigade was amalgamated with the Highland Brigade, forming the Scottish Division, it's regiments readopting regimental pattern cap badges.

A page from "Regiments At A Glance", by Lt. Col. Frank Wilson, published by Blacke & Son Limited, London & Glasgow, (sometime during the 1950's), & the Brigade cap badge:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 3   Posted (edited)

The Home Counties Brigade

The Home Counties Brigade administered the regular infantry battalions of the Home Counties of south east England.

Infantry Depot C at Canterbury was the HQ for the seven county regiments of the City and County of London, Kent, Middlesex, Surrey and Sussex.

Formed on 14/7/1948, The Brigade combined the depots of:

The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey)

The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment)

The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

The East Surrey Regiment

The Royal Sussex Regiment

The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment

The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own)

On 1/4/1958 the Royal Fusiliers were transferred to a newly-created Fusilier Brigade, & during the following three years the remaining six regiments of The Home Counties Brigade were reduced by amalgamation to four.

In 1958 the Brigade adopted a common cap badge and button, both depicting an upright sword within a Saxon crown. The individual regiments wore regimental pattern collar badges

By 1961 the four regiments in the brigade were

The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment (formed 14/10/1959 from the Queen's Royal and East Surrey Regiments), the new regiment wearing a collar badge of a Paschal lamb on an eight pointed star.

The Queen's Own Buffs, The Royal Kent Regiment, (formed March 1, 1961 from the Buffs and the Royal West Kent Regiment), collar badge of the new regiment the white horse of Kent with the motto scrolls "Invicta" & the regiment's name.

The Royal Sussex Regiment, collar badge the Roussillon plume, on it a Maltese cross in the centre of the Maltese cross a St George's cross within the Garter and a laurel wreath.

The Middlesex Regiment, collar badge the plumes of the Prince of Wales, cypher of the Duke of Cambridge surrounded by a laurel wreath & with a scroll bearing "Albuhera"

On 31/1/1966, the four regiments of the Home Counties Brigade amalgamated to form The Queens Regiment, the four component regiments regular battalions being redesignated as 1st 4th Battalions of the new regiment.

On 1/7/1968 The Home Counties Brigade joined The Queen's Division, along with The Fusilier Brigade & The East Anglian Brigade..

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

The Home Counties Brigade "patch", printed version - it could do wth the edges being ironed........

The Home Counties Other Ranks asilver anodised cap badge.

The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment was formed on 14/10/1959 by amalgamating The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey) & The East Surrey Regiment), The regular battalion of the new regiment wore the Home Counties Brigade cap badge but with regimental collar badges - these combined the crown & star of the East Surreys with the Paschal lamb on an heraldic torse of the West Surreys.

This collar badge design was worn as a cap badge by the TA battalions of the regiment, but not the regular one - by the time the Home Counties Brigade had given way to The Queens Division & regimental cap badges were readopted, the Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment had been amalgamated into The Queen's Regiment, which wore its own, new design of badge.

The officers gilt & silvered cap badge, the OR's anodised cap badge & collar badge & the brass shoulder title of The Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

The Lancastrian Brigade

The Brigade administered the regular infantry battalions of northwest England.

Infantry Depot “D” at Carlisle was the HQ administering the county regiments of Cumberland, Lancashire and Westmorland, in the north west of England

On14/7/1948 it became The Lancastrian Brigade, & combined the depots of eight regiments:

The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)

The King's Regiment (Liverpool)

The Lancashire Fusiliers

The East Lancashire Regiment

The Border Regiment

The South Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers)

The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire)

The Manchester Regiment

Following the Defence Review announced in 1957, by 1959 the Brigade was reduced to four regiments.:

The Lancashire Fusiliers had been transferred to the newly formed Fusilier Brigade on 1/4/1958.

On 1/7/1958 The East Lancashire Regiment and The South Lancashire Regiment were amalgamated as The Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers)

On 1/9/1958 The King's Regiment (Liverpool) and The Manchester Regiment were merged as The King's Regiment (Manchester and Liverpool).

On 1/1/1959 The King's Own Royal Regiment and The Border Regiment were merged to form The King's Own Royal Border Regiment.

In 1958 a Brigade cap badge was introduced, the red rose of Lancaster within a laurel wreath, above it the royal crest & below it a scroll bearing “Lancastrian”.

On 1/7/1968 the Lancastrian Brigade joined The Yorkshire and The North Irish Brigade to form the King's Division.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 7   Posted (edited)

The Lancastrian Brigade patch, embroidered & printed version, & the Other Ranks anodised cap badge:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 8   Posted (edited)

The Fusilier Brigade

The Brigade was created as part of the defence reforms announced in July 1957.

Formed on 1/4/1958, it combined the depots of the three English Fusilier regiments, which were transferred from existing Brigades:

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (from the Yorkshire and Northumberland Brigade)

The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) (from the Home Counties Brigade)

The Lancashire Fusiliers (from the Lancastrian Brigade)

The three regiments wore the Fusilier Brigade cap badge of a fired grenade bearing St George & the dragon within a laurel wreath, beneath a crown.

Miniatures of this badge were worn as collar badges, & the button bore the St George & dragon within the laurel wreath & with crown above.

The regiments were distinguished by a coloured feather hackle worn behind the badge in the beret & to the side of the fur cap:

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers wore red over white,

The Royal Fusiliers white,

The Lancashire Fusiliers primrose yellow.

In 1963 The Royal Warwickshire Regiment was transferred to the Fusilier Brigade from The Forester Brigade, which was being disbanded.

Retitled “The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers” the following year, it adopted a hackle in regimental colours - “Royal Blue and Old Gold with a touch of Dutch Pink”.

To the casual onlooker, this was orange over dark blue.

In 1963 a new Brigade button was adopted - the button of The Royal Warwickshires, an antelope within The Garter, with a crown above.

On 23/4/1968, St George's Day, the four Fusilier regiments were amalgamated to form “The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers”, with no change in insignia, but with the adoption of the RNF’s red over white hackle by all four battalions of the regiment.

On 1/7/1968, The Fusilier Brigade joined with The Home Countes Brigade & The East Anglian Brigade to form The Queen’s Division.

The Other Ranks anodised cap badge of the Fusilier Brigade, which continued in use as the badge of The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

The Fusilier Brigade greatcoat sized anodised button, superceded by the Royal Warwick's button design when the regiments of the Brigade were amalgamated to form The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

The cap badge & red over white hackle of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers of the Fusiler Brigade period & the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers post Brigade period.

The badge & "Royal Blue and Old Gold with a touch of Dutch Pink” hackle of The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yorkshire & Northumberland Brigade.

Infantry Depot “E” at Catterick was the HQ of the six county regiments of Lne Infantry recruiting in Yorkshire and Northumberland, on 14/7/1948 it became The Yorkshire & Northumberland Brigade, & depot ofn 14 July 1948 and combined the depots of::

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers

The West Yorkshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's Own)

The East Yorkshire Regiment (The Duke of York's Own)

The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment)

The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)

The York and Lancaster Regiment

The regiments were reduced to four following the Defence Review announced in 1957:

The East Yorkshire Regiment and the West Yorkshire Regiment were amalgamated into the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire.

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers were transferred to the newly formed Fusilier Brigade.

Now comprised entirely of Yorkshire regiment, the Brigade was retitled:

The Yorkshire Brigade

In 1958 a Brigade cap badge was adopted – a crowned white rose of Yorkshire above a scroll bearing "Yorkshire

The regiments continued to wear regimental pattern collar badges..

On 1/7/1968 The Yorkshire Brigade joined the Lancastrian Brigade & The North Irish Brigade to form The King’s Division

The York & Lancaster Regiment, however, chose to be disbanded in December 1968 rather than be amalgamated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yorkshire & Northumberland patch, embroidered & printed versions:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 11   Posted (edited)

The Midland Brigade

Infantry Depot “F” at Strensall was the HQ of the Line Infantry regiments which recruited in the counties of Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire.

On 14/7/1948 it became The Midland Brigade, administering the regular lLine Infantry battalions of the English Midlands, & comprised:

The Royal Warwickshire Regiment

The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment

The Royal Leicestershire Regiment

The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)

Following the Defence Review announced in 1957:

The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment was transferred to the East Anglian Brigade in 1958

In 1958 The Midland Brigade was renamed as:

The Forester Brigade.

A Brigade cap badge was adopted that year, consisting of a Maltese Cross bearing an antelope within The Garter, all within a wreath of oakleaves & with a scroll bearing “Forester Brigade”, & a tiger above the rest of the design.

In 1963, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was transferred to the Fusilier Brigade, & in 1964 retitled .

“The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers”.

In 1964 The Royal Leicestershire Regiment was transferred to The East Anglian Brigade.

The same year saw the Sherwood Foresters transferred to The Mercian Brigade, & the Forester Brigade was disbanded.

The Forester Brigade cap badge (a Midland Brigade cap badge was never produced).

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 13   Posted (edited)

The East Anglian Brigade

Infantry Depot “G” at Colchester was the headquarters for the county regiments of the east of England which recruited in Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire and Suffolk.

On 14/7/1948 it became The East Anglian Brigade, administering these regiments recruited from the East Anglia area of England, & was based at Bury St Edmunds

It consisted of:

The Royal Norfolk Regiment

The Suffolk Regiment

The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment

The Essex Regiment

The Northamptonshire Regiment

Following the Defence Review of 1957, in 1958 The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment

Was transferred to The East Anglian Brigade from The Forester Brigade.

The now six regiments of the Brigade underwent amalgamations to form three new regiments:

On 2/6/1958 The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment & The Essex Regiment amalgamated to form

The 3rd East Anglian Regiment (16th/44th Foot).

On 29/8/1959 The Royal Norfolk Regiment and The Suffolk Regiment amalgamated to form

The 1st East Anglian Regiment (Royal Norfolk and Suffolk).

On 1/6/1960 The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment and The Northamptonshire Regiment amalgamated to form

The 2nd East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucester's Own Royal Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire)

Brigade cap badges & buttons were adopted, the design of the cap badge being an eight pointed star bearing the castle & key of Gibralter, with a scroll bearing “East Anglia”, the buttons bore the figure of Brittania.

The three new regiments wore different collar badges & coloured lanyards:

The 1st East Anglian Regiment wore collar badges showing Brittania in front of the Castle of Gibraltar & wore a yellow lanyard.

The 2nd East Anglian Regiment wore collar badges of a sphinx on a tablet inscribed "Egypt", over a scroll bearing the battle honour “Talavera”, & wore a black lanyard.

The 3rd East Anglian Regiment wore collar badges of a Napoleonic eagle within The Garter and a pompadour purple lanyard.

In 1963 The Royal Leicestershire Regiment was transferred to The East Anglian Brigade from the Forester Brigade, & wore the East Anglian Brigade cap badge with collar badges of a tiger within an unbroken laurel wreath, & a pearl grey, black and scarlet lanyard.

In 1964, the four regiments of the Brigade were amalgamated to form The Royal Anglian Regiment.

On 1/7/1968 The East Anglian Brigade joined with The Home Counties Brigade & The Fusilier Brigade to form The Queen’s Division.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 14   Posted (edited)

The East Anglian Brigade patch, embroidered & printed versions, & the Brigade cap badge, one - piece & two - piece versions:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 15   Posted (edited)

The Wessex Brigade

The Wessex Brigade was an administrative formation of the British Army from 1948 to 1968. The Brigade administered the regular infantry battalions of the Wessex area of south and south west England.

Infantry Depot H at Bulford was the HQ for the six county regiments that recruited in Berkshire, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight and Wiltshire.

On 28/10/1948 it became The Wessex Brigade, based at Exeter, administering to the regiments of the Wessex area of the south & the south west of England:

The Devonshire Regiment

The Gloucestershire Regiment

The Royal Hampshire Regiment

The Dorsetshire Regiment (renamed “The Dorset Regiment” in 1951)

The Royal Berkshire Regiment (Princess Charlotte of Wales's)

The Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh's)

Following The Defence Review announced in 1957, the six regiments were reduced by amalgamation to four

In 1958 a Brigade cap badge consisting of a Wessex wyvern on a plinth bearing “Wessex” was adopted:

On 17/5/1958 The Devonshire Regiment and The Dorset Regiment were amalgamated to form the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment

On 9/6/1959 The Royal Berkshire Regiment and The Wiltshire Regiment were amalgamated into the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire and Wiltshire)

It was proposed to amalgamate the Gloucestershire Regiment & The Royal Hampshire Regiment as “The Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire & Hampshire”, a cap badge was produced, the two regiments were reduced ready to amalgamate,the new regiment's cap badges were issued, but in June 1970 this was cancelled with just days to go.

On 1/7/1968 The Wessex Brigade joined The Welsh Brigade & The Mercian Brigade to form The Prince of Wales's Division.

The cap badges of The Wessex Brigade & the proposed Royal Regiment of Gloucestershire & Hampshire:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 17   Posted (edited)

The Light Infantry Brigade

The Light Infantry Brigade was an administrative formation of the British Army from 1948 to 1968. The Brigade administered the regular English light infantry regiments.

Infantry Depot “J” at Farnborough was the HQ for the six English light infantry regiments, based on historical tradition amongst these regiments rather than geographical recruiting areas.

On 14/7/1948, it became The Light Infantry Brigade, contaning:

The Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert's)

The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

The King's Shropshire Light Infantry

The Durham Light Infantry

Following the Defence rReview announced in 1957, these six regiments were reduced to four:

On 1/4/1958 The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry were transferred to the Green Jackets Brigade.

On 6/10/1959 The Somerset Light Infantry and the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry were amalgamated as “The Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry”.

In 1958 a Brigade cap badge of a ribboned bugle horn was adopted

On 1/7/1968 The Light Infantry Brigade joined The Green Jackets Brigade to form The Light Division.

On 10/7/1968 the four Light Infantry regiments were amalgamated to form a new regiment, “The Light Infantry”, the new regiment wearing the Brigade cap badge but with a red cloth backing filling the void between the ribbons of the horn:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 18   Posted (edited)

The Mercian Brigade

Infantry Depot “K” at Lichfield was the HQ for the county regiments of Cheshire, Staffordshire, and Worcestershire, administering the area of England between the River Trent, River Mersea & River Severn, an area that roughly corresponded to the ancient Kingdom of Mercia.

On 14/7/1948 it became The Mercian Brigade, comprising:

The Cheshire Regiment

The Worcestershire Regiment

The South Staffordshire Regiment

The North Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's)

Following the Defence Review announced in 1957:

In 1959 The South Staffordshire Regiment and The North Staffordshire Regiment were amalgamated to form The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's).

A Brigade cap badge was adopted in 1958, a gold Saxon crown over a silver double-headed eagle, (the attributed device of Leofric, Earl of Mercia)

The three regiments wore regimental pattern collar badges, & were distinguished by coloured lanyards:

The Cheshire Regiment wore a cerise coloured lanyard,

The Worcestershire Regiment a green lanyard,

The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's) a black lanyard.

On 1/5/1963 The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire) Regiment joined the Brigade with the disbandment of The Forester Brigade., & wore regimental pattern collar badges & a Lincoln green lanyard.

.

On 1/7/1968 the Mercian Brigade joined The Wessex Brigade and The Welsh Brigade in forming The Prince of Wales' Division.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he Mercian Brigade patch, frst design on the left & second design on the right, both embroidered examples:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 20   Posted (edited)

The Welsh Brigade

The Welsh Brigade was an administrative formation of the British Army from 1948 to 1964. The Brigade administered the regular Welsh infantry regiments.

Infantry Depot “L” at Brecon was the HQ for the county regiments of Wales and Monmouthshire

On 14/7/1948 it became The Welsh Brigade, containing three regiments:

The Royal Welch Fusiliers

The South Wales Borderers

The Welch Regiment

In 1958 a Brigade cap badge of Prince of Wales plumes & motto was adopted.

On 1/7/1968 the Welsh Brigade, along with The Wessex Brigade and The Mercian Brigade formed The Prince of Wales' Division.

On 11/6/69 The South Wales Borderers & The Royal Welsh Regiment amalgamated to form The Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot), wearing

The Welsh Brigade cap badge until a revised design in silver & gold finish was introduced:

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 21   Posted (edited)

The North Irish Brigade

Infantry Depot “M” at Omagh was administered the Line Infantry regiments which recruited from Northern Ireland.

On 14/7/1948 it became The North Irsh Brigade.

It contained:

The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

The Royal Ulster Rifles

The Royal Irish Fusiliers

In 1958a Brigade cap badge was adopted, a crowned harp with scroll “North Irish Brigade”.

On 1/7/1968 these three regiments amalgamated to form “The Royal Irish Rangers (27th (Inniskilling), 83rd and 87th)”.

In 1968 The North Irish Brigade joined The Yorkshire Brigade & The Lancastrian Brigade to form the King's Division.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 22   Posted (edited)

The Highland Brigade

Infantry Depot “N” was the HQ for the highland regiments.

On 14/7/1948 it became The Highland Brigade:

The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)

The Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment)

The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's)

The Gordon Highlanders

The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's)

In 1958 a Brigade cap badge consisting of the saltire of St. Andrew on which was superimposed a stag's head and beneath it a scroll bearing “Cuidigh 'n Righ”

The six regiments were reduced to four following the Defence Review of 1957:

In 1958 On 20/1/1959 The Highland Light Infantry was transferred to the Lowland Brigade, & on 20/1/1959 amalgamated with The Royal Scots Fusiliers to form “The Royal Highland Fusiliers”.

On 7/2/1961 The Seaforth Highlanders and The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders were amalgamated to form The Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons).

The Territorial Battalions of the Highland Regiments were grouped together in 1967, eventually forming the 51st Highland Volunteers.

On 1/7/1968 The Highland Brigade joined The Lowland Brigade to form the Scottish Division.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 24   Posted (edited)

The Green Jacket Brigade

Infantry Depot “O” at Winchester was the HQ for the two Rifle Regiments & The Middlesex Regiment

In 1948 it became the Green Jackets Brigade (the name deriving from an old nickname for Rifle Regiments, who traditionally wore rifle green uniforms), administering the English Rifle Regiments.

The Middlesex Regiment was transferred to The Home Counties Brigade.

The Green Jacket Brigade combined the depots of:

The King's Royal Rifle Corps

The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own)

On 1/4/1958, following the 1957 Defence Review, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry was transferred from the Light Infantry Brigade to The Green Jacket Brigade, & was renamed as the 1st Green Jackets.

On 7/11/1958 the other two regiments of the Brigade were renamed as The 2nd Green Jackets & The 3rd Green Jackets::

1st Green Jackets (43rd & 52nd)

2nd Green Jackets, The King's Royal Rifle Corps

3rd Green Jackets, The Rifle Brigade

Wearing the Brigade cap badge of a Maltese Cross bearing a bugle horn, within a laurel wreath & with crown above, the three regiments were distinguished by their shoulder titles –“43rd/52nd”, “KRRC” & “RB”.

On 1/1/1966 the three regiments were amalgamated to form a new regiment, “The Royal Green Jackets”

In 1968 the Green Jackets Brigade was merged with the Light Infantry Brigade to form the Light Division.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now