News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commemorative Medal "90 Years of Military Intelligence"

TacHel

I've looked through a few Russian heraldic sites but couldn't find it...

The one thing that surprised me about this medal was the choice of ribbon. It's in the colors of the Foreign Intelligence Service, a completely separate organization, almost a rival within Russia. They merely used the ribbon from the Medal for "Veteran of the Foreign Intelligence Service" and reversed it.

Edited by TacHel

This medal with the GRU emblem is one of the unofficial medals being pawned off as the real thing. I'm actually quite surprised that a non government organization was allowed to hang it from a ribbon that closely ressembles real Defense Ministry colours.

Edited by TacHel

I've looked through a few Russian heraldic sites but couldn't find it...

The one thing that surprised me about this medal was the choice of ribbon. It's in the colors of the Foreign Intelligence Service, a completely separate organization, almost a rival within Russia. They merely used the ribbon from the Medal for "Veteran of the Foreign Intelligence Service" and reversed it.

Thanks for looking Frank!

I guess I can sort of understand the logic of the ribbon, being that the GRU and SVR both have responsibilities abroad, but it's still a little odd (like you say), esp. when you consider that the GRU is a military entity while the SVR is non-military. I suppose it would be interesting to know what the colors in the ribbon represent...that might explain the inversion. (or maybe there's just a ribbon shortage in Russia :lol: )

The SVR is 70% pure military, simply not under the Defense Ministry. Look at the SVR's long service medals my friend, they're military medals. Go on the SVR's web site and scan through the press releases, all military uniforms on the pictures.

But that doesn't explain this ribbon now does it?:unsure: