News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1st Battalion 15th Yorkshire Regiment

Kia Ora

Greetings from New Zealand

First please ignore my ignorance - militarily and geographically!

I have researched the family history of 8 great grandparents who emigrated to New Zealand mid 1850s to mid 1870s. In the course of researching I have tracked forward and found descendants of those family members left behind.

One such descendant has informed me that she has the Regimental Log Book of JOHN THOMAS SHIPMAN born 26 April 1854 at Broughton Lincs. to William Shipman & wife Mary Ann nee Good. He was in the 1st Battalion 15th Yorkshire Regiment.

The only other clue she has given is that in December 1873 he was at Guernsey.

I know that in September 1877 he was the Informant at the death of his grandmother at New Brumby and that by 9 Jan 1880 he was married in Canterbury New Zealand.

My questions!

1. At what age could JTS have entered the Army?

2. I note there appears to be an East & West Yorks Regt. How would I know to which he belonged?

3. How do I go about obtaining his Military Record? (Unfortunately the person holding the Log Book no longer replies to emails).

4. Can anyone identify East or West Yorks from the Dec 1873 date in Guernsey?

5. Where did the Regiment serve? ( I have not been able to identify JTS's passage to NZ and wonder if he was discharged or deserted after 1877?)

ANY advice/ help gratefully receivedrolleyes.gif

Thank you

Dale