News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Durban City Police in South Africa, originated in the 1840's and grew with the City to become one of the best Colonial Police Forces in the World. This cap was for an Inspector and dates from the 1970's. The uniform, coat of arms and name were all changed after 1994. They are now known as the Metro Police....

• 1 year later...

Hello Milhistry - welcome to the Forum. We will look forward to your contributions. Are you connected with the Police in any way ?

I agree with you - the trend today for cheap plastic badges and even worse clothing does nothing to inspire pride in the officers for their uniforms.

Mervyn

Hello Mervyn.

Thanks for the welcome. We have actually met before. I used to be a member of the SPM in Durban before relocating to NZ a few years ago. Is the society still in existence?

I was keen on police career once but my ambitions were soon brought to a halt by failing the very stringent eyesight requirements.

Regards

Mark

Mark - a double welcome with your background. I'm sure I would remember you if we met - but, I'm getting old and see so many people I forget names.

I think we had the heydey for the Society for the Preservation - it is still running, but with fewer members. I think the main problem is that people just don't want to attend physical meetings - Forums are the interest these days. I retired as President about six years ago and was pleased not to have the responsibility.

I am delighted to meet an old member and hope that you are well settled in NZ ? I think there are more Sth. Africans there now, then NZ people.

Best wishes. Mervyn