News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of the Rarest - WW1 - D, F. M.

PERMISSION NOT GIVEN TO WEB SERVERS TO RE-PRODUCE AT THIS TIME.

Acknowledgements , as shown, to items shown for historical purposes from the web.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a complicated subject and will run into many pages - there is mystery regarding if it has been changed in any way,

but, at the end of the day it remains one of the rarest gallantry medals in general circulation. I will show original photos of the medal - and also internet research that I have carried out. There is no doubt that the man was awarded this medal -

just - is this the original ?

So, we've seen the medal - one of 105 Awarded. Value wise - well in excess of 5000 pounds $8000 !

Now to the person - firstly he was in the Royal Naval Air Service. Secondly, he was one of the 'aces' of the air

battles of WW1. The next three posts will cover this background.

I am going to show a number of naming pictures. The rim is narrow - which makes it difficult to film - and also, I should think, for naming. Personally, I think he lost his DFM between the Wars - you will have seen that he ignored his age and re-joined in WW2. He was in Nthn. Ireland on Atlantic flights to guard shipping.

Like a lot of groups, when he died his eldest daughter had the DFM and log book. The next eldest lives in the UK and has the 1st WW medals. Unbelievably, the third one is in the States and has the WW2 medals. They will never be re-united,

however, this Award stands on it's own.

Apart from the history of the RNAS and his heroic background - which I hope will prove of interest - I will appreciate comments and advice on this apparent mystery. I have been remiss in not drawing his papers - which will be my next task - however, what do you think ? Has it been re-named - are there any further details that the researchers amongst us, might be able to help me with ? I look forward to comments.

Oh ! One other thing - I also have his goggles (bit delapidated ) and - a big chunk of shrapnel (with attached 'bloody' gauze) from when he was shot down. He had a long time in hospital, which is why his award was not Gazetted until 1/1/1919

Definitly re-named, (I presume that the originals were, but I very much doubt in this style, however have never seen a WW1 DFM) This makes valuation difficult.

The two aircraft shown in post #8 are both Bristol fighters, but I believe that these photos maybe post war (silver doped aircraft), pehaps at a flying show (hence the iron cross)

Post #12 This list is not for the highest scorers in the RNAS, perhaps it is for DFM winners, or for air gunners as Raymond Collishaw was the highest scoring RNAS pilot.

Love the log book.

I also knew of an RFC/RAF group of four that was split up this way, one to each grandchild...the two silver ones ended up in the pot.

Regards,

Pete