News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army Service Corps - Cyprus 1870 to 1890

I am researching my family history and have come across an interesting character that I thought I would share with the members on this site.

My great grandfather Edward Hills was born in Epping in 1851. He joined the Commisariat and Transport Corps (regimental No 2526) in 1870 and served most of his time in Cyprus. He rose to the rank of sergeant and was court marshalled on 18/2/1879 and demoted to private. He also has many entries in the regimental defaulter book. He died in 1890 of Delirium Tremens, He was at the time of his death, 2nd corporal in Army Services Corps.

The interesting part of the story is the family stories that Edward Hills was a bit of a rogue. it is reputed that, on the day he died he 'borrowed' a horse without permission and rode off to a party on the island and on the way back to barracks, fell off his horse, probably drunk, and died on 1/2/1890.

He had a wife and 6 children. the wife and two younger daughters returned to UK. The eldest daughter became companion to the governors daughter on Cyprus and the three sons were taken in hand by the free masons and sent to Egypt.

Can anyone shed any light on where I can get additional information on Army Service Corps in Cyprus, particularly , where I can get clearer and more detailed records than those on Ancestry.com. I am also looking for information on why the freemasons took control of the three sons and particularly why the boys were sent to Egypt.

I am the grandson of the eldest daughter who stayed in Cyprus and eventually married a Hussar in India, and that is another story...