News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sudan Defence Force WW2 Pith

I am very curious to know if anyone can authenticate or add anything to this wonderful helmet.

The three fold pugaree, green felt interior,and tin foil lining clearly indicate WW2 production or just prior to WW2, but what I am notsure of is whether it is really from the SDF ( Sudan Defence Force). It has the SDF badge with a single nut/bolt - appears to be authentic, and on the side of the helmet is the helmet flash in green worsted wool with SUDAN stitched on it.

The SDF used native troops who may not have worn piths. They were overseen by British officers who did where pith helmets.I have researched this and havent come across any descrption of what the flash may have looked like - or if there even was one.

For me its a fascinating piece ofhistory as the SDF played a key role in supporting the legendary LRDG by securing key oases and supply lines that enabled the LRDG to strike as far and as deep behind enemy lines as they did. The SDF served and fought in some of the most remote wastelands of the world.

If anyone has any additional info re this helmet it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Mike - I'm sorry that no member has been able to reply to your question. Perhaps just matter of time until the right person spots-it ?

One of our respected members is in Sudan at this time - I will draw his attention and see if he can help. Welcome to GMIC. Mervyn