News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Matabele Weaponry

When the first expedition crossed into the territory that was to become Rhodesia, in 1890, the Force consisted of Pioneers

and internal Police from the British South Africa Company - the guard formed by Cecil John Rhodes. Whilst the vast area of land was known through the reports of hunters and explorers - it was far from being properly mapped.

The two main tribes that they ran into were the Matabele and the Mashona. Both were substantial in size and were strong

warriors. They were traditional enemies and the area that was to be called Rhodesia was divided between them. The

strong differences made the early settlers call the two parts of the Country - Mashonaland and Matabeleland.

Settlers quickly followed the Pioneer expedition and the first major towns were Salisbury - in Mashonaland, and Bulawayo in

Matabeleland. Needless to say these dominant tribes were not at all happy to find that their way of life - and indeed their land,

was being taken over by white settlers backed by a stong force of Police. However, that was the way in those Colonial times

and there wasn't a lot they could do. They did make things difficult though and in 1896 there was a general up-rising amongst

the two tribes.

Bulawayo - even with settlers from outlying areas - still only numbered some 4000 people and it was quickly besieged. The

forces available to the new Government were not sufficient to control the trouble and a task force of some 800 troops was put

together in South Africa to go to their aid. They were drawn from a number of units - including the Kimberley Regt. - and were

succesful in bringing back law and order.

I have mentioned in previous articles that the British way with Colonies was to immediately raise local forces of army and police

to help the small numbers of British troops. We never had sufficient forces to maintain control without local help. The Mashonas

and the Matabele turned out to be excellent in uniform. Loyal and dedicated they assisted in the Boer War and in both World

Wars.

The Matabele were in fact Zulus and had originally travelled in the migration that settled in Zululand in the 18th. Century.

I would like to go into the history of the native tribes in Rhodesia in more detail - sufficient to say for this short resume that

one of the Tribal chiefs had a falling out with the Zulu King and that he took his clan back to Rhodesia - where they became

the Matabele. So, at the time of their return they were Zulus - but , as with many peoples this became filtered and it would

therefore be true to now call them 'cousins' of the Zulus. Their dress, many of their weapons and their customs mostly

originated from their early Zulu culture.

I am sure many peole who have lived in Rhodesia - now Zimbabwe - will be able to enlarge on my comments - they will

be most welcome to do this.

I recently bought a small collection of Matabele weapons and will post them over the next few days. They differ from Zulu in

some ways and I think you will find them interesting. Mervyn

..................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-6209-0-76201300-1359733188.jpgclick.....................................

I consider this to be one of the rarest ethnic spears that I have ever come across - and that includes Pacific Rim

Countries and Australia. The closest was the one illustrated under Zulu Iklwas - where during the Anglo-Zulu

War of 1879, the Zulus were so nervous of the fixed bayonet on a Martini Henry Rifle (nearly 3 metres overall)

that they had a bayonet like end fixed to their battle axes. They only had time for a few to be made and they are

both rare and valuable.

This Matabele spear - probably for a very senior chief, will almost certainly date to the period of the 1896 up-rising.

Perhaps either side of this date. For un-sophisticated tribesmen a Martini Henry rifle - capable of killing over a long

distance , must have seemed like the most terrible weapon. The thought must have been if he had his spear shaft

carved like one, then he might have the power ? Certainly it would have had status. Whatever the thinking, this is a very rare item - and to allow for the stock, it would have been carved from a big piece of wood.

The carving is excellent and it can be recognised as a Martini immediately. The binding for the spear head is also

unusual in that both the brass and copper binding and the shaft flare to meet each other. I expect that other examples

must be in existance - but, this is the only one I have come across. This is , of course a fighting / stabbing spear -

similar in purpose to a Zulu Iklwa.

This rathe rough stabbing spear probably also, dates from the 1890's. Properly made spear head but,

mounted on a rough piece of wood. I suspect making use of a head from a broken spear and just 'grabbed'

to fight with in the insurrection. Still a deadly weapon at close quarters and similar to the Zulu Iklwa.

................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-6209-0-97620700-1360235495.jpgclick...........................

Two short Matabele Iwisa's - or, knobkerries. This first one is very similar to the Zulu pattern - however,

the second version has a short collar to join-it to the shaft. Both are made from ironwood - very heavy

and it doesn't split.

..................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-6209-0-00583300-1360236130.jpgclick....................................

• 2 weeks later...

Time to look at the final batch of weapons - AXES. The Matabele were a breakaway Clan from the Zulus who

settled in Natal in South Africa - their weaponry therefore, bears great similarities. However, they moved back

further into Africa and had different influences from the new tribes surrounding them and , or course, from

inter-marriages. You will see see these changes in the four axes I am showing here.

Axes - whether for Zulu or, any other Southern African tribe - were not really for fighting and were not for the

ordinary warriors. They were expensive , hard to have forged and were very much a status symbol for rank

and authority.

The first one I am showing could almost be Zulu - in fact they may have traded with them to obtain-it. The head

has the hoe shape - the only type the Zulu smiths made - it also has the decorative bands of brass and copper.

This, the Zulus obtained from the Portuguese in the Delgoa Bay settlement - now Maputo. Should you be following

the Zulu Iklwas post on this Forum, you will see a number of examples of all Zulu weapons.

...................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-6209-0-00215400-1361442615.jpgclick...................................

This axe also seemsto have Zulu links - hoe shaped blade. No decorative wire work and quite a simple

shaft. Perhaps for a lesser chief - or, it may even have been damaged and a new haft fitted ?

....................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-6209-0-69087100-1361443500.jpgclick..................................

This is a totally different style of head - I have had suggestions for possible tribes made to me - it will be

interesting to see if any 'old Africa Hands' can help to identify the origins ? I suspect one of the tribes

towards the Congo. Since they all traded with each other - slaves, ivory, even gold - it is common for

pieces to appear miles away from their origins.

....................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-6209-0-99180700-1361443827.jpgclick...............................

The angled shape of this axe reminds me of the style used by the Northern Rhodesia tribes - this , of

course, is now Zambia. Not such a practical shape and , I would have thought, easy to miss your strike ?

.............................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2013/post-6209-0-19578800-1361444449.jpgclick.................................