News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Romanian 40 Aniversary as King Medal

Hallo Gentlemen, :beer:

this arrived in the door today, all the way from Germany. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

A Romanian 40th Aniversary Medal of King Carol I, this type for the Military, which differs from the model issued to the Civil Service which has the Royal Coat of Arms to the rear.

The military one carries the dates: 1866 -1906 and the words " IN AMINTIREA ANULUI AL 40 LEA AL CAPITANIEI MELE."

Variation has also been observed in the size of the Kings Head (on the medal) :P

And a rare variation of the Military one exsists, where the dates 1866 - 1906 and the MELE have been stamped into the medal after it was produced, the original die not containing these 3 items :(

The second photo shows the rear, which shows somebody has butchered a bar to get the medal :angry: in the original auction shots the photo was carefuly cropped around the medal, and shows no sign of the old stiches.

Looking at the quality of the ribbon and the stitching it was originaly very proffesionaly mounted.

I will post shots of 3 others I have in my collection a little later.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

The military one carries the dates: 1866 -1906 and the words " IN AMINTIREA ANULUI AL 40 LEA AL CAPITANIEI MELE."

This photo shows the rear, which shows somebody has butchered a bar to get the medal :angry: in the original auction shots the photo was carefuly cropped around the medal, and shows no sign of the old stiches.

Looking at the quality of the ribbon and the stitching it was originaly very proffesionaly mounted.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

PS: Of course these can be found down here in Romania but rarely with original ribbon and in such great shape, there now 4 in total in my collection were all found in Germany over the last 4 years or so.

Edited by Kev in Deva

As promised. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

By the way, the Romanian Phonecard shows items from the Romanian National Mint and features this:

"ORDER OF UNITY" instituted in 1864 by Sir Alexandru Ioan I Cuza (1859-1866)

It was designed by Carol Pop de Szathmari (1812 - 1887.)