News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two UK combat smocks

• 1 year later...

The one on the right - was the plain green combat smock of that design issued 1962? I can't remember when the DPM camo version of that style was introduced but it was supersceded by the style shown on the left.

Although I was issued the newer type in 1972, I wore that older camo type on occassion.

I have a dark blue version of same or very similar design, woren by Eire police serving with the UN in Bosnia in 2000.

Hallo Gents, :beer:

the style of smock or combat jacket on the right is very similar to the first Combat Uniform,

I was issued with while in the Irish Army in 1976, except that the colour was plain green.

The upper pockets were deep enough, (so they could comfortably take the 7.62 F.N. Rifle Magazine ok.)

There were buttons under the collar to facilitate the use of a hood, but no hoods were on issue,

we used to buy plain green British ones from the Army & Navy stores.

It did not have a pocket on the sleeve, but there was inner pockets to the rear of the outer upper pockets

Nor did the version I had have, the white-grey inner lining, it was all green.

The picture shows me (red hair) wearing the Irish version in Beirut Airport, late October 1979 for comparison,

sorry about the quality of the picture its old :blush:

There was a very strong rumour during the late 1970's that the Irish had taken a consignment of British D.P.Material styled

as Irish Army Combat Uniforms, but they were never issued due to fears of there being an incident on the Border, where

the terrorist I.R.A. might target an Irish Army Patrol by mistake!!!!

Its possible the Leigh's Gardai / Police Jacket was ex-Irish Army stock,

dyed for Police use with the U.N. (the Police don't wear such items in Ireland).

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

The right smock is a 1960 Pattern, originally produced in olive green, then about 1965 in DPM.

These jackets are really hard-wearing, I wear an OG '60 Pat from time to time, and, other than a reproof every two or three years, it still stand the abuse.

Eric

• 2 years later...

The type on the right is the dpm camouflage version of the 1960 pattern combat smock issued from around 1966 until the advent of the item on the left , the 1968 pattern combat smock. The original 1069 pattern smock was olive green and was a modified version of the 1953 pattern combat smock that was based on the US M43 system of clothing and was designed to replace the Battledress worn by British troops during the 1930's and 40's.