News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Request information: pilot Hans Br?ckner

At the moment I work at the local museum, and every once in a while, usually when a new exhibition opens up, the responsible department makes it possible for the staff of other departments to see it in advance. This time it was the opening of the art museum's summer exhibition, which was made up of "most requested" works in their collections. Since our art museum is also Finland's leading "poster museum", that form of art was naturally well represented.

There was this one poster, that I found especially interesting. Or not the poster itself, which was just a small 1930's ad for local brewery, but the artist whose work it was. He was a German named Hans Br?ckner, born 1897 in Dresden, died 1949 in Helsinki. The curator knew very little of him, only that he had studied art in his youth, been a "combat pilot" during WW1, and moved to Finland after the war. Here he married a Finnish woman in 1924, and worked as a set decorator in theaters, and later as the art director of Finland's leading printing house.

Now, can anybody tell me more about Br?ckner's WW1 service? Awards? Units? What was his connection to Finland? He isn't on my list of German airmen who participated in 1918 civil war. Maybe he was one of those "instructors" who came to build the Finnish army after May 1918? Or maybe an instructor for Finnish pilots who went to Germany for training? Or was he even a pilot at all?

Thanks,

Pete