News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro-Hungarian (?) Suvarov Medal

KeithB

Hello. This medal came to me in a collection of Austro-Hungarian medals (although I guess at that point they were still 'The Holy Roman Empire'.)

Based on the inscriptions I understand what it is for, but I am a bit confused about it's origin. I was under the impression that Suvarov was hung out to dry by the Austrians so I may be wrong about where it came from?

The inscription on the front reads:

"Alex Wassiliewitch Comte de Souwrowe" at the bottom the engraver's (?) name reads "IEITO"

The reverse reads:

"zum denkmal seiner siege in italien" and it is dated 1799 at the bottom.

If anybody can tell me anything about it I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hello. This medal came to me in a collection of Austro-Hungarian medals (although I guess at that point they were still 'The Holy Roman Empire'.)

Based on the inscriptions I understand what it is for, but I am a bit confused about it's origin. I was under the impression that Suvarov was hung out to dry by the Austrians so I may be wrong about where it came from?

"Alex Wassiliewitch Comte de Souwrowe" at the bottom the engraver's (?) name reads "IEITO"

The reverse reads:

Thanks in advance!

Hallo Keith, :beer:

just a comment with regards how it seems to have been adapted to fix to a medal ribbon ring, I doubt it was originaly so because of the hole drilled into the design / head area, something the designer would have taken into account, it loks like it was a type of commemorative token first, then adapted.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

The reverse reads:

Thanks in advance!

Hallo Keith, :beer:

just a comment with regards how it seems to have been adapted to fix to a medal ribbon ring, I doubt it was originaly so because of the hole drilled into the design / head area, something the designer would have taken into account, it looks like it was a type of commemorative token first, then adapted.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: