News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commemoration of the WW1 Blocade Breakers,

Hallo Gentlemen, :beer:

while going through an old cd of pictures of medals that I had copied of the internet many moons ago, I came across this one.

As far as I know it was a commemorative piece issued to sailors of the Prussian Navy who succesfuly evaded the Royal Navy Blocade to bring weapons to the Irish Republican Army of 1916 in Ireland during WW1.

This particular example was up for sale on German ebay, but, do to my work commitment at the time I was unable to place a bid, and it falls into the catagory of one that got away.

I think the medal is in bronze or Iron :unsure:

The front of the medal features the following around the outer edge:

BLOCKADE DURCHBRUCK S.M. HILFSKREUZER LIBAU (AUD) NACH IRLAND 8 - 22 APRIL 1916.

In the centre is a portrait of a Naval Type, with under the words:

KAPITAIN KARL SPINDLER, COMMANDANT S. M. LIBAU.

To the Rear is a text in Irish: (awaiting a translation) with the date 1931.

It was made by: GEBRUDER GODET & CO, of CHARLOTTEN STR. 55, BERLIN 8.

The medal hung from a ribbon which featured the National Colours of the Republic of Ireland & Germany.

It came in the box along with, a ribbon bar & 4 mini ribbons for wear with civil attire.

A very nice piece and I think not so well known item, if any of our members have any more information with regards this please feel free to add it here.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Guest Rick Research

That's :love: one I've never heard of before, and obviously meant to be worn-- FOUR lapel devices, no less! :cheers:

"Captain" Spindler was actually a Leutnant zur See der Reserve. Captured on his ill-fated 1 way cruise, somehow or other he was exchanged to the Netherlands in April 1918 and was eventually given a belated discharge rank as a brevet Oberleutnant zS dR aD.

Born in 1887, but I can't find a mention of him after 1921 (the naval Honor Rank List's report of his final rank).

Hallo Rick, :cheers:

many thanks for the additional information, I believe it must be a rare piece, wether just issued to the Captain & Crew of the ship I dont know, or, even if there was any official Irish input ito its design with regards the Irish citation to the rear.

Hopefully / soon I will have a translation of the text and will add it here.

A unique naval item into a little known phase of the Germans running guns to Ireland in WW1, Any forum members interested in more details can use "Roger Casement" in a www search.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

1. Circular writing on medal placed into modern script reads as follows:

"?rd-Comhairle na Saoirse in Aimerioc? Do Bhronn 1931"

Translated:

"Presented by The High-Council of Freedom (in America)1931."

2. Straight Script (Center of medal) as follows:

" I dTaobh a Saothair Ar Son na h?ireann Um C?isc 1916"

Translated:

"On Behalf of (his/her) (work/contribution/exertion) for Ireland at the

time of Easter 1916.

Many thanks to: S?a ? Neachtain, Baile ?tha Cliath, ?ire. for the translation :beer:

Kevin in Deva :jumping:

Guest Rick Research

An AMERICAN Hiberno-Teuton medal! :speechless1:

Do you remember what it sold for? I just :love::love: those French style lapel rosettes.... and FOUR of them.

An AMERICAN Hiberno-Teuton medal! :speechless1:

Do you remember what it sold for? I just :love::love: those French style lapel rosettes.... and FOUR of them.

Hallo Rick :cheers:

I recall it went for 150 Euros, if it was offered in the USA it probably would have drew a bigger price from an American-Irish collector. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :cheers: