News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Odd question about German WWI boards

Good day to you, forumians!

This is going to sound odd, but here goes... During the civil war in Ukraine in 1918, a hetman (ruler) Skoropadsky was brought to the power by a German highcommand, he inturn copied some of the German regalia, including shoulderboards, pips, branch insignia. Now on the attached pic, we can see that the junior officer's boards (leftmost) were very similar if not exactly the same as the German boards, the senior officers (middle) and generals (right) were similar but not exactly the same as german boards of the comparable ranks. Let's get back to the junior officers, they were created with the interchanging/intertwining blue and yellow thread (the Ukrainian colors), now three lines later, my question... I know different thread combinations on the boards signified different branches as well as different locations of the wearer, were there infact German junior officer boards during WWI that did have blue and yellow alternating threads? Here's why I'm curious, Ukrainian boards are very rare and if I happen upon a German-looking board with blue and yellow threads, can I be sure it's not German i.e. German army never used that combo, or on the other hand they did and there's a possibility that the hypothetic board is not Ukrainian. Thanks in advance, hopefully the question is more or less clear.

pogoni.jpg

dodorosi,

There were no German boards that looked like this, either in width, or with the color combination that you have mentioned. In other words, what you are looking for will not be confused with anything military from the imperial German period.

Chip