News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6th Class Kite

Gordon Williamson

Yes, this is a Showa piece. I always find it easier to look at the number of holes in the centre of the sword belt, there is one less on the Showa pieces than on the Meiji ones.

Thanks Paul !

Next, am I correct in thinking then, than going by the positioning of the screws on the reverse, this is the older style for a 5th Class ?

Can the differentiation between older/later with these be linked to particular dynasties ?

Gordon,

Yes, this is a Meiji piece.

It is uncertain when exactly the die types changed but the experienced dealers in Japan believe that it was about the start of the Taisho era. It is difficult so be more specific since I have not yet got a WWI period Golden Kite with the document where I can be certain that it is original to the certificate rather than a made up group. The 1904-05 groups which I have handled have all had the earlier type of order, while the 1940 China Incident issues are all the later type. The only major issuances between these dates was for 1914-20 and 1931-34. I have handled one group from the latter conflict and it was a later striking.

Needless to say the mass of awards made posthumously after 1940 are all the later type strikings. About 30% of all Japanese war dead in WWII received the Golden Kite which considerably devalued it as an award and also means that the earlier strikings are far rarer than the later examples. This final point is not yet appreciated by collectors so fill your boots with Meiji period pieces in the hope that one day people realise how scarce they are !

An article on the numebrs awarded for each conflict is on my list of things to do, not only for the Golden Kite but also for the Sacred Treasure and Rising Sun as well. On 29th April 1940 there were literally millions of Rising Suns handed out for the China Incident whereas earlier pieces are much more scarce.

Best regards,

Paul

• 2 months later...

Just trying to get my head around dating Kites. Am I correct in thinking that this 6th Class is a Showa period piece based on comparison with the one shown in Paul's thread above ?.

Is this a 6等金鶏勲章? I have two 6等瑞宝章 & grandfataher's marine badges.

Beautiful medals!! :cheers: