News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Medal, but pretty.

kaigunair

I've been wondering for a while what this medal was for. I bought it only because it just looked really nice. In hand, the quality appears very high. I'm gussing from construction it is a private purchase medal. Would appreciate any info on it.

Edited by kaigunair

This is the 5th Class Merit Badge of the Japanese Silk Weavers Association. If you look carefully you sill see that the design features silk cocoons and butterflies. The badges of this organisation are all very well made and attractive. They did not make it into my book since they are purely civilian in nature.

Thank you Paul. The butterflies are what initially drew my attention, but now I know they are silk moths! Any idea about the age?

Given how elegant this medal is, I'd love to see what a 1st class badge looked liked!

Thank you Paul. The butterflies are what initially drew my attention, but now I know they are silk moths! Any idea about the age?

Given how elegant this medal is, I'd love to see what a 1st class badge looked liked!

I am not sure about the age, I suspect the 1930s onwards but I have no proof of that. Given the purely civilian nature of them it never fell within my area of research. I have seen a 3rd class and a 1st class in Japan and they are very beautiful. These are the sort of pieces you decide to buy even if they do not fit into your collection simply because they are such good quality and so nice to look at.