News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

COLOUR SARGEANT GRUNDY;DCM: A CRIMEAN WAR HERO

William Grundy was born in Liverpool, Lancaster. As a young man, he enlisted with the HM49TH regiment. He was allocated the regimental number of 1843.

After arriving in Hong Kong on 4 June 1842, he saw service in Chusan, Hong Kong, Singapore and India. After serving abroad for almost a year, he returned to Portsmouth on 16 August 1843.

Service followed in England and Ireland until 1848. The promotion to Corporal was confirmed on 6 May 1848. Corporal Grundy continued to serve in Dublin and Galway until promotion to Sergeant followed on 1 May 1849. Towards the end of 1853, Grundy was the recruiting sergeant in Ottery Saint Mary and Bath.

On 29 March 1854, he embarked at Kingston for service with the Service companies of his Regiment. From April to June 1854, he was in Malta and Turkey and reached the Crimea in September 1854. From January to June 1854, the Regiment was based or camped in front of Sebastopol. Promotion to Colour Sergeant was confirmed on 1 April 1854.

The British Army suffered heavy casualties during the Assault on the Quarries in front of the Redan on 7 June 1855. One of them was Colour Sergeant William Grundy who succumbed to his wounds on the same day.

For his services, he was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Crimean Medal with 2 clasps

Will - I am a little disappointed for you that this superb pair has not had more attention from the members. Perhaps it was a week without many viewers - however, I would like to point out to everyone that this is a most rare - and valuable - pair. The VC was only just coming into effect and therefore, the possibility of the DCM being for the equivalent of a VC action is very high. It was the highest award - at that time for an O/R.

May I suggest, Will, that you give us the background to a DCM award. Just a thought. I know that I was very impressed with the pair and personally, would love to own them. Mervyn

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Hi Mervyn,

Thanks for the positive response.

I have always approached posting on the GMIC as a positive sharing and learning experience.

Some fields do create more interest than others, but one reply like yours to this post makes the effort both worthwhile and rewarding!

Regards,

Will