News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gebirgsjäger Regt. 98 Remembrance Badge

Hello Gentlemen,

Picked up this Gebirgsjäger remembrance badge at the weekend, its the second one I own. Fine zinc measures 37mm x 46mm issued by 12th Company Gebirgsjäger Regiment 98 reverse has a list of the regiment's Russian Battles 1941 /43. I was wondering, if members know how many of Gebirgsjäger Regiments issued remembrance badges, I know too four, perhaps there are a few Gebirgsjäger collectors amongst us may know the total number or have a period picture of one in wear. I've seen them described on German sites so -

"Gebirgsjäger wearable remembrance badge" - "these wearable remembrance badges were very popular with the mountain troops, worn on the uniform, although not official".

Cheers

P.s. - The slight red hue colour on the front comes from the camera, not on medal.

Hallo AlecH

the lack of any Third Reich insignia on the badge means a post WW2 Commemorative item,

I did have quite a few "Gruntentag" Commemorative badges in my collection before passing them onto my brother Anthony in Ireland.

They were made to be sold/given at the annual commemorative climb to the Gebirgsjäger monument on the Grunten Mountain near Sonthoffen in Allgäu, Bavaria.

I remember one of them featuring the same design as on the front of your item.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hello L- K,

Thanks for your post, I see your traditions badge for the first time, you write it comes from 8th GBJDiv do you have any details on it? I did have a look around the internet for different GJ badges, found the biggest German Military dealer Helmut Weitze has two on offer, it was from his sales description that the quote comes from "these wearable remembrance badges were very popular with the mountain troops, worn on the uniform, although not official". Since reading the quote I have been looking through my Gebirgsjäger albums & pictures hoping to spot one being worn, no luck up till now, perhaps a member will find one. I think you words - traditions badge - much more apt. I found also on the military forum “German Combat Awards” - a Girbirgsjäger collector had posted a picture of his collection everything laid out on a large table, the collection had nine different Gebirgsjäger traditions badges amongst it. I did email him, asking if he could post a separate large picture of the 9 badges on the thread, I’ve had up till now no response, but I live in hope.

Kevin’s point “lack of third Reich insignia” which I take he means, no swastika , well I’ve looked through a lot catalogues of unit badges from war time German army, air force, naval units, very few have the swastika incorporated on their design, they mostly give a suggestion of a military connection, no more. Kevin also mentions commemorative remembrance tinnies issued every year and dated for that year, given out to church service members attending the yearly service for Sonthofen Gebirgsjäger dead from WW1 & WW2, these tinnies are clearly nothing to do with the unit badge posted.

Best Wishes

Hello L- K,

Thanks for your post, I see your traditions badge for the first time, you write it comes from 8th GBJDiv do you have any details on it? I did have a look around the internet for different GJ badges, found the biggest German Military dealer Helmut Weitze has two on offer, it was from his sales description that the quote comes from "these wearable remembrance badges were very popular with the mountain troops, worn on the uniform, although not official". Since reading the quote I have been looking through my Gebirgsjäger albums & pictures hoping to spot one being worn, no luck up till now, perhaps a member will find one. I think you words - traditions badge - much more apt. I found also on the military forum “German Combat Awards” - a Girbirgsjäger collector had posted a picture of his collection everything laid out on a large table, the collection had nine different Gebirgsjäger traditions badges amongst it. I did email him, asking if he could post a separate large picture of the 9 badges on the thread, I’ve had up till now no response, but I live in hope.

Kevin’s point “lack of third Reich insignia” which I take he means, no swastika , well I’ve looked through a lot catalogues of unit badges from war time German army, air force, naval units, very few have the swastika incorporated on their design, they mostly give a suggestion of a military connection, no more. Kevin also mentions commemorative remembrance tinnies issued every year and dated for that year, given out to church service members attending the yearly service for Sonthofen Gebirgsjäger dead from WW1 & WW2, these tinnies are clearly nothing to do with the unit badge posted.

Best Wishes

Hallo Alec. :beer:

With regards commemorative tinnies for Sonthofen Gebirgsjäger commemorations, post WW2 a few of them have the capped soldiers head and donkey design featured on your item. :P

I can't recall ever seeing any type of a badge other than their "Edelweiss" badge worn in any W.W.2 pictures. Your item has two holes in the upper part so would it be worn hung around the neck? As it seems not to have been designed for being fixed to the uniform.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Alec I have no information re. the 8 GBJ Div badge, here's a link to an item about the division,

http://www.gebirgsjaeger.4mg.com/8gebdiv.htm

& a photo of the rear of the badge, which obvously represents the Gbj of the divisional insignia.

This example appears to have been obtained by an American soldier in Italy, I think the 8 GBJ Div was "captured" by the 8th US Div?