News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Duke of Connaught

The Duke of Connaught was the 3rd son of Queen Victoria and this B&W photo was in Picture Post

in 1940 - he had just reached 9o years of age. In 1910 he was in South Arica for our inaugeration ceremonies.

I am showing this for his many Victorian Decorations - B&W I know, but quite a chestful He is wearing the Garter and the Bath - but what is that shape on his right chest ?

If you are talking about the star just under the medal bar; isn't that the Order of St. Patrick?

If you are talking about the lower star, I think that one is the Order of the Thistle. Scotland's order.

Thistle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Thistle

St. Patrick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_St._Patrick

Both are listed in the Duke's ODM's in his biography.

Edited by IrishGunner

I will stand by the Garter and the Bath - very distinctive shape. Also, this was a 90th birthday - so I would expect him to wear at least the KG I will be interesting to see what others make of them - what I can't work out is the thing like a fern leaf on his right side ? Mervyn

I will stand by the Garter and the Bath - very distinctive shape. Also, this was a 90th birthday - so I would expect him to wear at least the KG I will be interesting to see what others make of them - what I can't work out is the thing like a fern leaf on his right side ? Mervyn

I stand corrected about the Garter - you are right; that's the one just under the medal bar. St. Patrick is the same shape, but the center is the giveaway for Garter. But isn't the Bath the one around his neck? So, I still say the one below Garter is Thistle - because of it's shape.

Now, the one you are asking about - on the right side; I am a bit dyslexic in this regard. I was looking on the right side of the viewer - not the wearer. Now, that "fern like" object is harder to discern, isn't it?

Orders, decorations and medals - courtesy of Wikipedia

British

Order of the Garter

• Knight Companion (KG), 31 May 1867[12]

Order of the Thistle

• Knight Companion (KT), 24 May 1869[13]

Order of St Patrick

• Knight Companion (KP), 30 March 1869[14]

Order of the Bath

• Companion, Military Division (CB), 17 November 1882[15]
    • Knight Commander, Military Division (KCB), 8 July 1890[16]
    • Knight Grand Cross, Military Division (GCB), 21 May 1898[17]

The Duke served as Great Master of the Order from 26 February 1901[18] to his death.

Order of the Star of India

• Extra Knight Grand Commander (GCSI), 1 January 1877[19]

Order of St Michael and St George

• Knight Grand Cross (GCMG), 16 April 1870[20]

Order of the Indian Empire

• Extra Knight Grand Commander (GCIE), 21 June 1887[21]

Royal Victorian Order

• Knight Grand Cross (GCVO), 6 May 1896[22]

The Duke of Connaught was awarded the Royal Victorian Chain on 11 August 1902.[23]

Order of the British Empire

• Knight Grand Cross (GBE), 4 June 1917[24]

Venerable Order of St John

• Knight of Justice (KStJ), before 1896[25]
    • Bailiff Grand Cross (GCStJ), 12 June 1926[26]

The Duke was Bailiff of Egle from 1894 and Grand Prior of the Order from 1910 to 1939.[27]

Campaign medals

Long service medals

[edit] Foreign

If he was the Grand Master of the Order of the Bath - then that would be the one with the pointy sides. Although it is outranked by the the Thistle and Patrick. Thanks for that list Greg - just shows, be born to a Royal family and look what you get ! He is obviously only wearing a few of them - but, you could live comfortably just from tthe gold and the jewels.