News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South Wales Borderers (regimental favour?) brooch

Could anyone provide any information on the attached images of a brooch, date unknown but I would guess early 20th century? As you will see, it is the SWB regimental crest made up with enamel colours and tiny stones as a decorative brooch 32mm in height. I presume this was a favour to be worn by a lady, an officer's wife for example, while the regiment was on active service. Is this the case? Many thanks in advance.

IMG_5373.JPGIMG_5371.JPG

These are usually known as 'Sweetheart Brooches' and really started in numbers from the Boer War (1899-1902

If you look back you will find a number of posts on the subject - and some good illustrations.

This one is silver - however, even on 400 I can't make the hallmark out - give us details,or a close-up and I can tell you the date.

Silver would indicate for an officer's wife or, girlfriend - but, not always

These are usually known as 'Sweetheart Brooches' and really started in numbers from the Boer War (1899-1902

If you look back you will find a number of posts on the subject - and some good illustrations.

This one is silver - however, even on 400 I can't make the hallmark out - give us details,or a close-up and I can tell you the date.

Silver would indicate for an officer's wife or, girlfriend - but, not always

Thanks Mervyn. I'm very grateful for your rapid response. I will look up the other postings. I believe this one is not in fact silver; with apologies for my poor photographs (a hopefully clearer one attached below) the stamp is the letters S O P rather than a hallmark, and apart from the other faint England stamp on the rear I cannot find any other markings. A nice things for all that.

Best regards

IMG_5378.JPG

I dropped into a shop today which had a number of sweetheart brooches in the window, and was told that because many of these were commissioned privately and not produced for sale they often did not have hallmarks, even on white or yellow gold. I will get a jeweller to take a look and tell me what the metal is. Thanks again.