News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RAF Chaplain medals - help to identify recipient

I wonder if you can help me. I recently bought the WWII medals of a RAF Chaplain and am stumped to find out who he is.

From the photo that came with the parcel, he served in a heavy bomber squadron. On the Official postal box, it appears his name was F. C. –and- (the first and possible last letter of his surname is unreadable) and he lived in London. He signed the photo “Charles” so it would seem he was known as Charles. The last name could be Jand but it is very hard to make out. Some kind soul has tried to obliterate the name and address at some stage.

The address label also has the numbers 320/1116 typed onto it. Is this significant? It does not appear to be a service number (to me, at least).

His medals are (at least in part) 1939-45 Star, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal, British War Medal. There is also a WWI MiD oak leaf ribbon attachment, a violet satin patch and a RAF button. There are no details written on the back or edge of any of the medals although they do seem to be originals.

If you can help me find his correct surname, then I can take it from there. How many RAF Chaplains with a first initial of F., second name Charles (and known as Charles) could there have been serving with heavy bomber squadrons in 1944-45? And possibly served in WWI as well?

Of course, the individual items in this collection may not be related at all.

I sincerely appreciate any assistance you can offer me.

Many thanks,

Greg.

Greg an interesting set of questions - I hope one of the members who likes researching will be able to help ?

Perhaps if he had a WW1 set of medals they have been split in the family - there must also be the possibility

that he was carrying his Father's award ? Mervyn

Hello Greg,

A great research project.

I just found an interesting post at the site below which may help you further if you haven't already found it yourself.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?2210-RAF-Chaplains

Tony

Greg,

I don't think that RAF Chaplains were posted to individual RAF squadrons. Rather they were posted to RAF stations/bases to serve the whole of the station personnel and their families.

The RAF Lists of the period would give the names of the Chaplains in the whole of the RAF so you could draw up a list of those who had the correct initials.

Also, from the rank tabs on the photo he appears to be a Squadron Leader (or possibly a Wing Commander).

I believe that all military Chaplains had to have done time in civi street before they were recruited by the armed forces. Therefore, if he was a Church of England chaplain you might be able to find his entry in an edition of "Crockford's Clerical Directory". That directory shows the career of each minister and the one you are after should indicate service with the RAF. I'm not aware of any similar publication to Crockfords for ministers who were Roman Catholic, Presbyterian etc.

Paul