News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

order of precedence WW1 /WW2

hello,

i recently stumbled upon a small bucket of medals at a swap meet( car boot sale).

On purchasing for the princely sum of $5.00 Au. I discovered in among the usual dross of tatty medals and wrong ribbons I have acquired the medals of a man who served in both major wars

In WW1 he was a young lad of just over 17 yo (born in June 1900 in Spalding, Lincs) who joined the Lincolnshire Rifles in May 1918 and remained in the Army for three years passed the war.

In the late 20's / early 30's he migrated to Gods earth (Western Australia) and then joined the Australian Army in 1940 and stayed in home duties as an Ambulance driver until stumps in 1945.

He was a humble private and a quiet achiever , no MM or DSMs here just an average jack who answered call for the King and Commonwealth. He remained a Private in both wars.

How should i mount his medals ( left to right on the wearer) as our ANZAC day is coming up and i would like to honour this man by marching and wearing his medals on a very solemn day.

To me men like this were the backbone of two great nations and contributed much more than anyone could really know or even contemplate.

Sure the VCs and the MMs get the glory and rightfully so and we sometimes seem to forget these men who did their duty with out fuss or fancy and went home to resume their life as best they could.

A great find - mount the WW1 closest to the centre of the chest and the WW2 follow to the left. However, if you are going to wear

them at the Anzac parade , they will be on the right side of your tunic or, blazer. I suppose you could then mount them for the opp.

side, with the WW1 again being closest to your buttons. Show us a picture of you wearing them. Mervyn

You are quite correct - the Aust. Service medal should be at end. If you give us his name and details one of the research members may well

find more info. on him. Not sure I agree with your comments on Perth - I was brought up in Melbourne and Sydney...............

He was Arthur Henry Thompson

born Spalding Lincs to Martha Thompson 27 June 1900 , No details on father

Pte 3940 A.H Thompson LINC R

He moved to 9th avenue Armadale WA and stated his occupation as a tractor driver on his attestation

Signed up at Claremont WA in 1940 PTE WX 8899 A.H. Thompson and was discharged through 2/7 field ambulance in 1945

Sorry about the WA reference i have lived in Perth, Melbourne Sydney, Canberra ( I was a volunteer at the War memorial during my high school days ) and Brisbane - they are all good!