News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shoulder belt plate Question

Hello Gents (and ladies)!

I recently wandered upon two interesting shoulder belt plates coming up for auction in a provincial UK auction rooms and I am interested in them, but there is something about the way they look that makes me feel uncomfortable about bidding (patina, wear, not sure what). I'm not at all experienced with badges and so was wondering if other more experienced members could let me have their opinion of these belt plates? All opinions welcomed. Because I assume the plate images are copyrighted, I provide Internet links below.

One belt plate is reportedly Victorian to the 18th Foot:

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/186512.aspx

The second plate is other ranks, to the Seaforth Highlanders:

http://www.tennants.co.uk/Catalogue/Lots/186537.aspx

Cheers,

Tjones

From looking at the photos they appear to be OK - perhaps a coat of varnish to protect them has caused the loss of any patination.

Tennant's are a reputable Auctioneers - your first enquiry should be with them for their opinion. If there is time, do this in writing so that

you have a record of their opinion. Also, read their Conditions of Sale - this will give their policy on items that prove not to be genuine. Mervyn

Thanks very much for having a look at it. It's true the patina is not what I have seen in the past. Also the casting on one of them is a bit more crude than I have seen in the past. Very hard to tell with some of these pieces. I shall hold back on this pair. Cheers

From looking at the photos they appear to be OK - perhaps a coat of varnish to protect them has caused the loss of any patination.

Tennant's are a reputable Auctioneers - your first enquiry should be with them for their opinion. If there is time, do this in writing so that

you have a record of their opinion. Also, read their Conditions of Sale - this will give their policy on items that prove not to be genuine. Mervyn