News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Tactical Recognition Flash help ?

Try the Scots Guards. Beginning with the Boer War (1899-1902) the Scots Guards adopted recognition flashes of 'dicing' on tropical helmets and 'slouch' hats worn on campaign. This derived from the diced bands on headgear, sometimes referred to as 'national tartan,' that had denoted regiments with Scottish associations since the late C18th. As a Royal regiment, the SG dicing, worn only on forage caps, was red and white with blue squares in the median strip. Dicing for non-Royal regiments had dark green median squares.

Currently, I believe the Scots Guards wear the generic Foot Guards TRF of three horizontal bands: blue/crimson/blue. Perhaps they use a battalion ID of 'national' dicing. That's probably your best line of enquiry.

I am not aware of any other Scottish units wearing 'national' dicing as TRF. 5th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland (5 SCOTS), formerly the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, wore battalion TRFs of the red and white 'Sutherland' check dicing. Since they were reduced in June 2013 to a company-sized unit focussing on ceremonial and public duties (Balaklava Company, 5 SCOTS (A&SH), I don't know whether they continue to wear a company TRF on working dress when training for the Light Infantry active service role they retain.