News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 months later...

Stefan.

That's all there is, I'm afraid.

It's a small picture.

Robin-

A very interesting item. The totenkopf is similar to the design of the one found on the panzer beret. I bought one of these out of the trunk(or boot as known in the UK) of a car 30 years ago. That piece had a very detailed silver wire hand embroidered skull in the form of the pattern found on the visor cap and feldmutze. The man I bought it from told me his uncle picked it up in the vicinity of Salzburg at the end of the war. These are quite unusual war trophies and I seriously doubt that many survived. Nice item!

Bob

Edited by Bob Coleman

Stefan,

I believe this is the full image you requested. I got this print from an Austrian dealer at a militaria show who had a few images of the shabraque.

This particular item was quite an expensive one for SS members, costing 32 RM, about the same as an issue overcoat.

They also exist with runes instead of the totenkopf.

Regards,

Derek

IPB Image

Thanks Derek,

nice picture. Do you know anything more about it - what unit it might be?

I just missed out on several good SS-Reiter pictures on german ebay. The seller got an offer and closed the auctions :banger:

Cheers,

Stefan

Stefan,

I'm afraid I can't be of any help. The photo is just not large enough or clear enough to make out the collar patches. I fancy the date is 1934/35 from uniform details but that's about it.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Derek,

nice photo.

I received some photos that I won at ebay. It's a burial of the Hauptsturmf?hrer of the 2nd Reiterschwadron and some more men.

The seller translated all of the text of the backside but not the rank and name. I believe it to be Hauptsturmf?hrer G?rtz. G?rtz is my best guess since he was the commander the 2nd squadron in SS-Kav.-Reg 1. According to "Riding East" (page 151) G?rtz died 18th of March 1942.

Translation:

"Der Schimmel ist das Pferd von dem gefallenen [Haupsturmf?hrer G?rtz] der 2. SS Reiterschwadron in Cholm".

I guess "Schimmel" is a type of horse?

Regards, Stefan