News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Venda National Force Awards

archie777

Here we have the following award

Venda National Force Gallantry Cross (Gold) (PCF)

20240417_153748.jpg

Venda National Force Gallantry Cross (Silver) (PCF)

Also the same abbreviation as the (Gold Cross) PRAEFECTURAE CRUX FORTITUDINIS

20240417_153547.jpg

Venda National Force Distinguished Service Medal (SOO)

20240417_153558.jpg

Venda National Force Outstanding Service Medal (SOE)

20240417_153610.jpg

Venda National Force Medal for Combating Terrorism

20240417_153629.jpg

Here we have a possible sample for the following award

Venda National Force Medal for Combating Terrorism

20240417_153640.jpg

Venda National Force Long Service Medal - 30 Years

20240417_153652.jpg

Venda National Force Long Service Medal - 20 Years

20240417_153714.jpg

Venda National Force Long Service Medal - 10 Years

20240417_153723.jpg

Here we have a possible sample for the following award

Venda National Force Long Service Medal - 10 Years

20240417_153737.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Megan,

I will definitely send the pictures tomorrow from my laptop to my mobile and will add better pictures with descriptions

Will finish with Bophuthatswana Police tonight

Regards

Archie

Venda National Force Gallantry Cross (Gold) (PCF)

Instituted to recognise signal acts of valour by members of the Venda National Force who, in the discharge of their functions or in protecting or saving property or life, have lost or genuinely imperilled their lives.

Instituted with effect from 13 September 1979 in terms of a Warrant signed by President P R Mphephu on 8 February 1985.

General Notice No. 2 in the Republic of Venda Government Gazette, Vol. 13, No. 17 dated 15 March 1985.

Venda NF Gallantry Cross (Gold) (1).JPG

Venda NF Gallantry Cross (Gold) (2).JPG

Venda NF Gallantry Cross (Gold) (3).JPG

20240516_091947.jpg

Venda National Force Gallantry Cross (Silver) (PCF)

Instituted to recognise signal acts of valour (less meritorious than for the Cross in Gold) by members of the Venda National Force who, in the discharge of their functions or in protecting or saving property or life, have lost or genuinely imperilled their lives.

Instituted with effect from 13 September 1979 in terms of a Warrant signed by President P R Mphephu on 8 February 1985.

General Notice No. 2 in the Republic of Venda Government Gazette, Vol. 13, No. 17 dated 15 March 1985.

The ribbons for both the gold and silver Gallantry Crosses, are very hard to find

Venda NF Gallantry Cross (Silver) (!).JPG

Venda NF Gallantry Cross (Silver) (2).JPG

Venda NF Gallantry Cross (Silver) (3).JPG

20240516_092006.jpg

Venda National Force Distinguished Service Medal (SOO)

Awarded only to Officers of the General Staff of the Venda National Force who distinguished themselves through meritorious service promoting the efficiency of the Venda National Force and who contributed actively to the security of the Republic of Venda.

Instituted in terms of a Warrant signed by President P R Mphephu on 8 February 1985.

Venda National Force Distinguished Service Decoration (1).JPG

Venda National Force Distinguished Service Decoration (2).JPG

Venda National Force Distinguished Service Decoration (3).JPG

Venda National Force Outstanding Service Medal (SOE)

Instituted to members of the Venda National Force who:                               

(1) in the execution of their duties or in protecting or saving or endeavouring to protect or to save life or property displayed particular gallantry, exceptional ingenuity, skill or perseverance; or                                    (2) rendered outstanding service to members of a dynasty or Heads of State or Government; or                                                  (3) distinguished themselves through outstanding resourcefulness, leadership, sense of responsibility and setting a personal example to any branch of the Force.

Instituted in terms of a Warrant signed by President P R Mphephu on 8 February 1985.

Venda National Force Outstanding Service Medal (1).JPG

Venda National Force Outstanding Service Medal (2).JPG

Venda National Force Outstanding Service Medal (3).JPG

Posted (edited)

Venda National Force Long Service Medal (30 Years)

Instituted for award to a person

(a)       in the discharge of his functions ... rendered service of a particularly meritorious or exemplary nature; or

(b)      as such a member has, for a period of service of not less than 30 years ... displayed an irreproachable character and exemplary conduct,   

(c)     has rendered service of a particularly meritorious nature to the Venda National Force.

Venda National Force 30 Years Service (1).JPG

Venda National Force 30 Years Service (2).JPG

Venda National Force 30 Years Service (3).JPG

Edited by archie777
    Wrong spacing

Venda National Force Long Service Medal (20 Years)

Instituted for award to members of the Venda National Force who had served for a period of service of not less than 20 years and had displayed an irreproachable character and exemplary conduct.

Venda National Force 20 Years Service (1).JPG

Venda National Force 20 Years Service (2).JPG

Venda National Force 20 Years Service (3).JPG

Venda National Force Long Service Medal (10 Years)  

Instituted for award only to members of the Venda National Force who had served for a period of service of not less than 10 years and had displayed an irreproachable character and exemplary conduct.

The idea of using a young baobab tree on the obverse was suggested by President Mphephu himself.

Venda National Force 10 Years Service (1).JPG

Venda National Force 10 Years Service (2).JPG

Venda National Force 10 Years Service (3).JPG

Venda National Force Long Service Medal (10 Years) (Alternative Design)        

Art Card and design (Not approved)    

20240313_155317.jpg

20240313_155316.jpg

20240313_155314.jpg

Venda National Force Medal for Combating

Instituted for award to a person who on or after 13 September 1979:           

(1) As a member of the Venda National Force or in support of the Force had been involved in combat with terrorists or in the course of performance of duties in connection with the prevention and combating of terrorism, sustained injuries arising from terrorist activities ... or displayed exceptional vigilance, zeal, ingenuity, skill or leadership; or                                      

(2) as a member ... performed counter-insurgency duty for at least 90 days ...; or

(3) rendered exceptional and outstanding service to the Venda National Force in the combating of terrorism;

(4) as a member of the Venda National Force was stationed permanently for a continuous period of at least 12 months in the area and behaved in an exemplary manner.             

General Notice No. 2 in the Republic of Venda Government Gazette, Vol. 13, No. 17 dated 15 March 1985

Venda National Force Medal for Combating Terrorism  (1).JPG

Venda National Force Medal for Combating Terrorism  (2).JPG

Venda National Force Medal for Combating Terrorism  (3).JPG

You are very kind and generous... and I much prefer having images I know I may use rather than scavenging from sales sites and the like. Now many auction houses have given me the run of their catalogues, but a lot of South African medals don't make it as far as European (or American/Canadian) auction houses!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Megan,

Here we have a possible sample, because I couldn't get any information on it, but its also a Venda Independence Medal

Regards

Archie

20240401_164021.jpg

20240401_164054.jpg

Thank you, Archie.

The first one has the same obverse as described & shown on Wikipedia, but they claim the reverse (which they don't have an image of) bears the arms of the Republic of Venda.

Your second example has the arms of the Republic of Venda on the obverse, and the information/date of independence on the reverse.

I just love medals!!!!

Morning Megan,

My pleasure and I'm also glad to be of any help.

According to the information I have, you are correct, but somewhere they changed it.

I couldn't find any information on the second medal and yes, I love my medals as well.

There is so many interesting information.

Regards

Archie