News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military Medal (MM) 3114 Cpl A. Ryder 2/S.A.Inf. 
    1914-15 Star Pte A. Ryder 2nd M.R.; 
    BWM; AVM (Bil.) 2/Lt. A. Ryder;
    Combattants De La Somme 1914-1918-1940 Medal

Alfred Ryder was born in Newcastle, Natal 12 March 1897. He was as a civil servant and at the outbreak of WWI he enlisted in the 2nd Mounted Rifles (Natal Carbineers) for the German SWA campaign as Trooper No. E2963.

As part of the “H” Squadron he participated in the Battle of Gibeon on 27 April 1915. At the conclusion of this campaign he enlisted for overseas service with “B” Company 2nd S.A.I. as a Private.

He participated in the Battle of Hal Azim on 23 January 1916 during the Senussi campaign. Ryder participated in the Battle of Delville Wood and is listed in Ian Uys Rollcall. 

He was awarded the Military Medal for bravery during the operations East of Ypres in 1917. Obviously a very competent and reliable soldier, promotion followed quickly in the field.

Promoted to Lance-Corporal on 17 May 1917; Corporal on 30 June 1917; Sergeant on 18 April 1918 and he was then commissioned as a Temporary Second Lieutenant on 15 July 1918. 

Ryder was released from service on 28 May 1919 after commanding “B” and “C” companies of the 2nd S.A.I. respectively.

Ryder received his Military Medal ribbon from General Lukin on 17 February 1918 in Delville Wood during the memorial service that was held in the Wood.

Screenshot_20240612_222124_Drive.jpg

Edited by archie777