News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military Medal (MM) (Geo.V) 423 Pte H.J. Sherman 1/S.A. Inf :Bn;

BWM; AVM (Bil.) 9L/CPL H.J. Sherman. 1ST S.A.I.;

S.A.W.S. Medal unnamed as issued.

MM LONDON GAZETTE 19 JANUARY 1917
    Henry James Sherman was born at Port Elizabeth in 1896. He was educated at Marist Brothers College and then worked as a salesman for Mosenthal & Co., wholesaler merchants.

Attested at Potchefstroom 16 August 1915 for service in “B” Company of the 1st South African Infantry Battalion of the South African Overseas Expeditionary Force.

Served in Eqypt 12 January 1916 – 12 April 1916. He was present on 26 February 1916 at the Battle of Agagiya 14 miles south east of Sidi Barrani. South African losses numbered 1 officer and 13 other ranks killed, and 5 officers and 98 other ranks wounded.

The 1st and 3rd South African Infantry  battalions were both granted the Battle Honours of "Agagiya" and of "Egypt 1916".

Suffered a gunshot wound in the left shoulder 17 July 1916 on the 4th day of the Battle of Delville Wood. 

His regiment lost 26 men killed and missing on that day. The 1st South African Infantry Battalion casualties over the seven days of the battle numbered 583, comprising 192 killed, died of wounds or missing, 363 wounded and 26 prisoners of war.

Sherman spent the next two months in hospitals in France and England. Served in France again 20 September 1916 – 3 November 1916. 

During this period the South Africans suffered casualties of approximately 1 150, including 45 officers of whom 16 were killed. At this time the major action of the 1st S.A.I. was its attack on the Butte de Warlencourt on 18 October 1916. 

Quote from Shermans' letter home dated 11 November 1916.

“The night I got my present was the 18 October 1916, while I was guiding a party of Scottish in for working purposes. We got half way down the communication trench and the Gerries started strafing it, causing a wild dash for cover.

Before I knew where I was, someone from behind sent me flat on my face, and just as I was about to get up, the trench was blown up by a high explosive, sending me flat again.

They pulled me out but I was finished. I got into an old German dug-out more dead than alive, but not too bad to struggle back after showing them their work.

I carried on the best I could the next day, after telling what had happened; a sprained leg (left, slight) and both hips, which have now become natural. The worst was the blow on the kidneys, which I am still suffering from."

Earlier in the same letter Sherman describes his experiences as a chief runner. He closes with the words:

“I then made my way back to headquarters again with my report which was lengthy, and I must say the Colonel was pleased to a certain extent."

His M.M. award must have been for good work as a runner.

Awarded the MM in the LG 19 January 1917. No official recommendation could be traced, but this Regimental Testimonial of Gallantry dated 15 January 1918 tells the story of his gallantry in the attack on the Butte de Warlencourt. 

He was in hospital in France, Ireland and at Richmond Park from 20 October 1916 suffering from rheumatism and diarrhea.

For the following eight months he served in England at the Cavalry Command Depot, Eastbourne and with the 1st Reserve Battalion.

Returned to France 13 July 1917 and joined ”B” Company 1st S.A. Infantry. Back to England on 21 September 1917 and attached to the Discharge Depot. He reverted to the ranks voluntarily on 10 October 1917. Promoted Lance Corporal 30 October 1918, Corporal 28 January 1919, Lance Sergeant 24 June 1919 and Sergeant 29 September 1919.

Posted to South Africa 21 November 1919 and discharged at Cape Town on 14 January 1920. He was mentioned in a War Office Communiqué dated 28 August 1919.

Sherman was the first choice in the selection of a group of six ex-servicemen from Port Elizabeth and Walmer to attend the official Unveiling Ceremony of the South Africa National War Memorial at Delville Wood held on 10 October 1926. 

During World War II Sherman served as a Special Constable in the Walmer Civilian Protection Services 25.8.1941 – 31.8.1945.

He was an extremely enthusiastic supporter of the annual reunion parades and dinners of members of the 1st South African Infantry Brigade. Sherman died at Port Elizabeth in 1971.

Screenshot_20240615_215003_PDF Reader.jpg

Screenshot_20240615_215013_PDF Reader.jpg