News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the rising sun, why some cases have golden like and some other silver like kanji inscriptions?

Ilja Heimonen

Hello,

i am newbie here and i have seen a lot of topics that helped me about the order of the rising sun. But one thing still is whirling around my mind. Why do some case have an golden like kanji inscription and others silver like. 

I have put 2 examples of Showa to Heisei era cases, both of them 6th class cases. Other is golden and other is silver. I am planning to buy one 6th class one and i just want to know! 

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Showa to Heisei era case silver kanji.jpg

Showa to Heisei era 6th class golden kanji case.jpg

Edited by Ilja Heimonen

Posted (edited)

Hello Tracy, 

So as i understood golden kanjis were always in use until 1938-1939 when the ministry of Finance ordinance decided to cease that act and started to use silver kanjis until 1957 when golden ones were restored. Interesting, this helps a lot since i am planning to buy a 6th class that is as old as possible, 6th class is easier distinguished to be an old one because of the change to it´s structure somewhere around 1940. This knowledge i also got from GMIC forums 😅. You guys truly are the best. The older the more interested i am and i would love to get an old case too! I now have a lot of research done!! This one will look great in my collection and very exotic since it is Japanese and very far away from Europe...

Thank you very much Tracy for sharing this post in Medals Of Asia. I have used it previously but seems like i missed that post. Big thanks to JapanX too! 

All the best,

Ilja

After 1938-1940

after 1938-1940.jpg

Before 1938-1940

before 1938-1940.jpg

Edited by Ilja Heimonen