News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Rising Sun lid inscriptions

Paul L Murphy

The style of the lid inscription on Japanese award boxes changed over time and is one of the key ways in which you can date (roughly) the order concerned. The picture below shows from left to right the following : -

Showa period 4th Class Rising Sun

Meiji period 6th Class Rising Sun

Meiji period 7th Class Rising Sun

Meiji period 8th CLass Rising Sun

The very first character is key in determining the age of the lid, especially if you cannot read Japanese. You will see that all three Meiji period lids have a very curvasive first character, whereas the character on the Showa lid is very square and "blocked" in appearence. This character is the Japanese character which indicates that the number coming after it is an ordinal, ie. 1st, 2nd etc.

The second character on the lid is the class of the award. I will try to post all the numbers (1 to 8) as they appear on lids in a different thread.

The remaining characters are the name of the award. With the Rising Sun it is difficult since the name changes depending on the class, ie. 8th class is White Pawlonia Leaf Medal, 7th is Green Pawlonia Leaf Medal etc.

These inscriptions are not illustrated to size, apologies. In general for the non Japanese speaking medal collector the first two characters are what you need to focus on, the first to date the award and the second to know the class of award.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul L Murphy

• 1 month later...

Look at the form of the first character on both of your inscriptions, this is what helps to date it. In this case they are both Meiji period inscriptions.

Best regards,

Paul

Dear Paul

Thank you for the information, if I'am well informd the Meiji periode is from 1868 until 1912.

so this object can be date in this periode.

Do you have an idea what the symbols are from the periode 1912 until 1945

Thanks

Guy

• 3 years later...

I've been studying cases somewhat, looking for variations, there are certainly plenty! I grouped here what I believe to be the progression of the Rising Sun 8th class over time from earliest to latest. I'm not certain that I've got them in correct order, so feel free to comment/correct as needed! I'd appreciate input. The first one is what i believe to be the earliest variant, notice the significant difference in the kanji shapes, particularly in the 2nd row (left). The topmost swoops to the left, not the right as the rest of them do. Also note that 3rd kanji down where the "radical" is to the left rather than under as the later versions are.

This second one here has changed styles significantly - also notice the character for eight - the tails are fairly flat, but characters remain somewhat rounded, more fluid:

In this one, the characters start to become a bit more linear in their design:

Now, this next one could be my imagination, it is very similar to the 3rd one above, but I've notices a significant number of these in which the tails of the "eight" have an upward curvature as opposed to very flat. I'm guessing these are pretty much the same time period though:

Then there is this one, note some slight styling changes, but most prominent is once again the "eight" - looking more like two pinched lines. This is the last in which the kanji appear in two vertical rows:

From there, the styling changes dramatically - very linear and with gold kanji, single vertical column:

Enter the cases with some styling changes and silver kanji:

And lastly, the late issue, another slight style change, and back to the gold kanji:

Now, I'm still a bit hazy on when changes were made to awards, like the lapel rosettes, etc., so let's see if I get this all right (Paul, help!):

Pictures 1,2,3 - Meiji Period

Picture 4 - Probably Meiji or Early Taisho

Picture 5 - Taisho

Picture 6 - Late Taisho/Early Showa?

Picture 7 - Showa (war years?)

Picutre 8 - Late Showa/Postwar

If I understand correctly (and God knows I may not! :blush:) - Meiji pieces will have bow rosettes - and styles 1,2,3 - what I've observed have all had bows when rosettes are present.

Was the Taisho period a transitional one - earlier awards may have been with a bow, and later ones with a button rosette? This is my basis for pics., 4 and 5 - somewhat of a guess really, but of the 5 types I've observed, they have had button rosette, but of thinner construction and thinner rays. 6 is a bit of a guess too - but again, have observed these typically with buttons, though one with a bow.

I've always understood the silver kanji cases to be of the war years, not sure what span of years that is though!! WWII???

So - please, comments, corrections!!