News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian EK 2 holder - 1870 ?

Hello,

Now you guys need to help me out a bit as i have found something very strange. I was today once again active in the archives to work on one of my sideprojects.

The sideproject is namely to list all German awardes rendered towards Belgians between 1831 and 1914. And yes the work is quite well progressing and sometimes one does find quite strange things.

Today i encountered a so called 'Auto-Port' (= the agreement from the Belgian state that a certain foreign award is allowed to be worn.

I was working on the year 1895 and did find the following:

Mr. Le docteur R.Saulmann ? Bruxelles, dependant ? ?tre autoris? ? porter la Croix de Fer de 2me Classe qui lui n?t? d?cern?e par S.M. l'Empereur d'Allemagnen Roi de Prusse :speechless::speechless1:

So we have now the following chances:

1) The good dr. was once a german who did fight for his land during the war 1870/71 and switch country's late rone to land in belgium and get the Belgian civilianship

2) The good dr. was always a Belgian who did fight in the German Army during the war 1870/71

3) This is a mistake and it was meanth to name a different German award.

Now is there anyone who can solve this riddle?

Cordial greetings,

ps: oh yes, the project once finished will be published in a bookform :cheers:

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the search => yes, i have this one also confirmed directly from Germany. That is the one i did rediscover in the Belgian archive.

I wonder iff more info on the good dr. can be found? As he was in the German army at that time he also held a officers rank or am i mistaking? Iff so then he might appear in the ranklists, etc....

So at least, one Belgian civilian (at least he was a Belgian in 1895) did earn a EK 2 with white and black ribbon :cheers:

Cordial greetings,