News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently bought an unusual SWB, unusual as the recipient (I assume) had it partly enamelled. This badge was issued to 57432 Gunner Horace Henry Allibone of 120 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery, for a wound received in September 1917 during 3rd Ypres or Passendaele as it's also known.

According to his RGA pension record, Horace's disability was Shell Wound Head, Scalp. His service record states GSW to head (severe). Gunshot Wound?

120 Siege Battery RGA was attached to 1st ANZAC Corps whose position was between Hellfire Corner and Railway Wood just off the Menin Road. For anyone who knows the area, I believe they were in the field on the left, opposite the Canada on the corner of Canadalaan when driving towards Hooge Crater.

The Australian advance commenced on 20.9.17 at 5.40am. The aim was to capture pillboxes and other strong points while advancing under artillery cover. The attack was a success and over by 10.15am.

Poor old Horace was already in hospital at Wimereux, arriving there the day before the infantry attack started. He was discharged 1.1.18.

Now to search for his medals.

Anyone else seen SWBs like this in the past?

Tony

• 2 weeks later...