News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Most Boring Nobleman In The Bavarian Army-- Ever

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

No-- really!!! I know you have come to expect epic narratives, teenagers in satin breeches, hideous untimely deaths, and upper class heart-break in the named swords from local collections that I am graciously allowed to post here but nuh uh

this guy was D-U-L-L...

although a bit of a mystery still and one we sure could use some help on!!!

Lionhead-- artillery or train.

Entwined initials "HK" under a nobleman's 5-pearl coronet.

Guest Rick Research

I'm afraid that I bear personal responsibility for this one being where it now remains-- in a local collection in the Zone Of Devastation from the anecdotal Great Ice Storm of 11 December 2008-- into whose shattered hills and devastated forests I was first able to venture off-island today for some scans to share with y'all.

Back in the Happy Hunting Times for swords (Clinton administration-- often brought out 2 per show and left a 3rd behind many a time due to lack of cash) my sword collecting Hunting Packmate bought this because I recognized the family name...

which turns out to have been his MUCH more exciting brother or cousin. :banger: Even a Walking Encyclopedia cannot keep the genealogies of 3 army corps straight out at a show, on the spot. Heck, I need the computer just to keep my own hideously complicated roots straight!! :rolleyes:

"Henn s/l v. Kienle 1896"

Henn was apparently

Richard Henn, born 1875, commissioned Leutnant 27 February 1896 in Bavarian Field Artillery Regiment 12. Henn vanishes between my 1903 and 1909 Bavarian Rank Lists and never reappears.

Heinrich Ritter und Edler von Kienle is always referred to as ?Leutnant aD? so I presume he and Henn were commissioned at the same time?which would account for the 1896 date. MORE needs to be discovered, however?

1903: von Kienle was listed as ?Kasernen Inspektor und Leutnant aD? in Munich

1909: he was listed as Garnison Verwaltungs Inspektor with rank date 29 June 1906, on staff of garrison administration in Aschaffenburg

1913: listed as the same rank but ?with rank of 10 December 1894??apparently since these guys didn?t have promotion prospects, seniority was played with for the entire administrative corps?in F?rth. This 1894 date suggests an entry date for when he joined the army and leads me to suspect that will bear out his commissioning with Henn.

1914: Everyone?s seniority ?issues? having been ironed out, he now shows as Garnison Verwaltungs Oberinspektor with seniority 1 December 1913. This rank wore insignia of an administrative Captain?see attached rank chart.

When the war started, all he had for awards was the 1905 Luitpold Army Jubilee Medal. That is all he held as of the secret April 1916 Rank List.

His category of officials was not shown in the 1914/18 Honor Rank List, so again, more research is needed. He probably retired in 1920 with a ?white black? Iron Cross 2nd Class, Bavarian Ludwig Cross, the 1905 Jubilee Medal, and Bavarian XXIV Years Service Cross.

There was only one other Bavarian army Henn?Wilhelm, born in 1858, dead by 1929, an Intendance official for whom I can find no common service ever with von Kienle.

WAS Hinrich Ritter und Edler von Kienle commissioned in a Bavarian field artillery regiment in 1896? When did he go "a.D>" as a combatant officer before 1903?

:sleep:

oh, and uh :cheers:

Heinrich Ritter und Edler von Kienle, born 19.08.1875, was commissioned a Sek.Lt. with a date of rank (DOR) of 27.02.1896 in the 9. IR (found in the 1897 Dienstaltersliste). That?s the same DOR as Richard Henn. I know from my records that Richard Henn was a Kriegsschule graduate, so, it?s a safe assumption that Heinrich graduated at the same time Richard did, as you point out.

Heinrich can still be found in the 1898 Dienstaltersliste, but by 1900 has disappeared and is only mentioned as Leutn. a.D. Why did he not transfer to the reserves or Landwehr? He still would have had a military commitment. Perhaps he ran afoul of the Ehrengericht???? Was he injured and mustered out as an ?Invalid?? Without consecutive Ranglisten or other sources, it?s impossible to tell. At least now that date can be narrowed to sometime between May 1898 and May 1900.

Now for Richard Henn. He was born on 07.02.1875. Upon commissioning, he joined the 5. FAR in Landau and remained with that regiment until 01.10.1901 when a new FAR, the 12th, was formed at Landau. From 1901-01.10.03 he was an Abteilung adjutant. On 01.10.1903 he entered the War Academy in Munich. Sadly, Richard died on 06.02.1906, explaining his disappearance.

So, for me the only remaining question is what happened to Heinrich to cause him to leave the army under conditions that prevented further service in either the reserves or Landwehr.

Andy

Guest Rick Research

:jumping: :jumping::jumping::cheers:

Never heard of a Lionhead sword for the infantry before-- that threw me off. This now suggests a bit of a further mystery--

did Ritter von Kienle actually give HENN this sword in 1896 (inscription-- see other thread about that :banger: "s/l" --

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=33173

and then....... take it back on henn's death in 1906 and wear it as his OWN (initials and coronet)? :catjava: Hmmm.

The plot thickens!

I thought it was odd that Kienle should petrify at that combatant rank too-- other Beamten usually completely a 12 year commitment in the reserves--

not least because dR/dL status gave them the right to wear an officer's sword and sword knot.

Thanks for the additional data and the expanding mystery!!! :cheers: