News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Order of St. Maurice & Lazarus

Hi all,

I got this Order of St. Maurice & Lazarus today and I have few questions to experts....

First at all, how common it is with the crown and what for it was added to?

From what period my order would be? It is looks like pretty heavy silver one. Weight is 27.7 g. Ribbon is very fadded but nicer green inside. No maker marks (should be there any?)

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Noor

Part of the order close up;

Hi Noor

One of my favorite, a very ancient & noble order. Your example is an officer class due to the fact that there is a crown present. Without a crown it would be a knight. Date it around WWI or after due to the fact its silver. The gold examples are 19th century, very delicate and very light. They are not scarce but more rare then the Italian Crown to be sure. Is your example 39-42 mm?

Sincerely

Brian

Thank you very much Brian!cheers.gif

I am as well just stunned of the look of that award! It's very great looking and history behind it is just amazing (I did my homework now and researched more from the internet).

This cross is 45mm.

Thanks again,

Timo

Thank you very much Brian!cheers.gif

I am as well just stunned of the look of that award! It's very great looking and history behind it is just amazing (I did my homework now and researched more from the internet).

This cross is 45mm.

Thanks again,

Timo

Hi Timo

I'm glade you like the order. From the inception they were seperate orders only to be combined which gives the present form, the Maurice ( military cross ) Lazarus ( charity Angles ).

Hallmarks are seldom found if so usually on the French made pieces with a gold hallmark, export marks. Here is an example of one from the Kingdom of Sardinia. Note the wreath was used to distinguish an officer from the knight. Prior to 1857 there was no gold wreath only a bar on the ribbon to designate an officer. After the unification of Italy the wreath was replaced by the crown in 1860. The measurement is 37mm. The early 1800's the sizes are even smaller 28mm-33mm. The Maurice was completely flat no "speed bumps" ;) at the edges.

Sincerely

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...