News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

There are many variations of the Argyll's collar badges and indeed the cap badge. Most revolve around the cat, whether he is facing or side on, tail up or sitting on his tail, the expression on the face etc. There are also variations in the boar's head. From what I remember the badge at left is post 1902 due to the tail not being visible and the one on the right being pre 1902 due to the upright tail. Interesting to note that the right hand badge has been brooched probably as a sweetheart item.

I'll dig out Churhill's collar badge book and see if I can come up with a better date match for you.

That one on the left looks like a kangaroo, not a cat!!!

It's a Sutherland mountain cat, you should see those buggers jump :catjava:

I've had a look through Churchill and to be honest you'd have difficulty dating these badges from the book. It appears to support my original theory of the age, but not quite, the upright tail was used later, see mine below. I think that this was produced in the 30s or 40s due to the lugs on the reverse and it has a tail.

I think this is the best collar badge produced, it is so rich in symbolism. Myrtle, broom, cat and boar are representative of so many clans in such a lovely badge. I do admit to a little bias as this was the regiment my father served with in WW2.

It's a Sutherland mountain cat, you should see those buggers jump :catjava:

I've had a look through Churchill and to be honest you'd have difficulty dating these badges from the book. It appears to support my original theory of the age, but not quite, the upright tail was used later, see mine below. I think that this was produced in the 30s or 40s due to the lugs on the reverse and it has a tail.

I think this is the best collar badge produced, it is so rich in symbolism. Myrtle, broom, cat and boar are representative of so many clans in such a lovely badge. I do admit to a little bias as this was the regiment my father served with in WW2.

That's right, Jim. You can find the origins of that wild cat in the crest of the arms of the Dukes of Sutherland. I believe the same cat is in the WW I badge of the 5th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders.

Kind regards,

Jef

Sorry Andrew, seems like you've been hijacked!

I really must put together something that shows the many connections that the collar badge shows. For me it is far more informative than the cap/glengarry badge, the only thing it misses out is the coronet of Princess Louise. That's probably represented by the 'bar' above the cat and boar. The cap badge however doesn't have the myrtle and broom just a surround of thistles. Already the largest badge in the British army (known as the mess tin) a few sprigs here and there would not have gone amiss.

If you're thinking of getting shot of those collars think Jim :beer:

Another cap badge

Sorry Andrew, seems like you've been hijacked!

If you're thinking of getting shot of those collars think Jim :beer:

Hijacked is o.k., I'm loving the thread. Sure, I'd sell the badges. Seems you've got some history there! Drop me an email at wartime@wartimecollectables.com with an offer (I have no clue what these are worth, they came as part of a big collection). Or I'd swap them for a couple of Victorian era collars.

Andrew