News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Few Meiji Era Caps

W.Unland

Hello,

I apologize to those who have seen these before, but to help get the new topic section going here are a few Meiji era army caps.

First, a lacquered parade helmet from the beginning of the Japanese national army circa 1880's.

[attachmentid=53567]

Side view.

[attachmentid=53566]

Here is a shot of the interior. These helmets were also used in the field but in a matt leather. I assume that as this one has a glossy lacquered finish it was intended for formal wear.

[attachmentid=53570]

More to follow.

Thanks for looking,

Bill Unland

Edited by W.Unland

Interior shot.

[attachmentid=53588]

And lastly a WW1 era cap of the same branch to show the differences between the earlier Meiji era, Prussian-like caps and the more "practical" Taisho era headgear. Lower crown, and large usable brim.

[attachmentid=53589]

Edited by W.Unland

Here is a couple of photos of the Meiji era caps in wear.

[attachmentid=53592]

And a later photo of a WW1 era doctor wearing the lower peaked Taisho era cap.

[attachmentid=53593]

It is unfortunate but most of these relics have NOT survived time gracefully. Most I have seen have been mothed and damaged as these examples. The materials are generally thin and cheap, befitting the low regard held for enlisted soldiers. Officer's grade materials seem to have survived a bit better. Also, regular soldiers were not professional soldiers, they were farmers and tradesmen, and they did not save their uniforms. This stuff was generally disposed of after use, and little has survived, in any condition. Militaria collecting has not been a significant hobby here, so proper care and conservation has been rarely taken. Those that have been found have usually been forgotten about in some storehouse for the last 100 years, and only surface after the moths and mice have "had their way" with the materials.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Bill Unland

Edited by W.Unland