News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legitimation

Chip

Here is an interesting little Austrian Legitimation (actual size 2.5cm X 10cm) for the bronze bravery medal to a German Unteroffizier in one of the MG companies of the Pascha force. I had not realized that the Germans were getting medals not only from the Turks, but the Austrians as well.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

25 years ago, the Austrian Kriegsarchiv could make copies (I have some) of the actual citations which accompanied their WW1 awards.

With the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian empire, many files went with their new citizens to the successor republics, but as a foreigner, I betcha this German's is still sitting there in Vienna.

You need to ask for the "Belohnungantrag" and they may well still have it. Fascinating stuff, and as good (and remarkably similar in format) to Soviet citations, with a write up of the actual action and little rubber stamps "coded" for the award being applied for, signed off on up the chain of command.

Anybody got the current address there?

Thanks Rick and Glenn,

I have sent them an e-mail and will let you know if I get a reply.

By the way, a bronze Tapferkeitmedaille did come with the document, but who knows if it was the medal given to the soldier. One good sign is that the back of the trifold ribbon has had a safety pin sewn on. I would think if this medal would have been worn by an Austrian, there would have been no need for that. Also, the ribbon does not have the usual hook and eyelet. the folded ribbon is sewn together and the medal is suspended from the bottom, having been sewn on with red and white thread so it would "sort of" match the ribbon colors. All is very crudely done and the ribbon is much faded and worn.

Best regards,

Chip

Edited by Chip

Dear Gentlemen :beer:

If I may be so bold, as to tack on a post to this thread, in my collection is a minty zink version of the Iron Service Cross, it comes complete with box in perfect condition, a tunic ribbon, the 2 x push-stud fastning type, and a very tiny hand-written Legitimation. (2,6 X 9,5 cm).

With regards the previous postings is this item researchable as well? Forgive my question as II have no idea how to go about such research, most of my items do not have the coresponding Urkunde or paperwork :(

This item, I believe was the property of a Doctor Karl Pohl.

I obtained it a few years ago in Kempten, Bavaria, and was told at the time his widow sold it to the dealer, along with a second husbands French Military Medals!!

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Just to let you know....I tried to e-mail the Austrian State Archives with my questions and the e-mail came back as undeliverable. So I suppose writing them is the only way to communicate.

Chip

Hallo Chip, :beer:

all the items were present together, in fact the lady who sold them to the Dealer was just on her way out of the shop, as I came in, she must have been in her late eighties if not more. There was some French Medals from her second husband but these were worse for wear, particularly a Legion of Honour with the mini, but with very bad damage to the enamels :(

As it was I got the Austrian Iron Cross set for 80 Euro :love: and was quite happy with it.

Perhaps some more knowledgebale members could enlighten us on the Austrian paper-saving with regards small Legitimations :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer: