News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian guard helmet? Badge?

PAB

I dont know if this is the right section. The middle of the three transitional helmets I believe could be an Austrian guards helmet simply by the fact it has two holes for a badge. Now in the back of my mind I think I can recall seeing helmets being worn with a badge at the front and I think they were Austrian.Can anyone help me identify if it is, the badge it would have taken. thanks Pete

1t.jpg

DSCI000smallholes.jpg

Pete,

Two helmets spring to mind here. The first one is the Austrian Guard Battalion helmets. They had a large Austrian eagle crest on the front. The second is the proposed helmet of 1918 for post war use. I have never seen either of these helmets first hand so don't know if the holes in your helmet would match the badges that I have pictured below. You could always ask this question of the Austrian Military Museum in Vienna. They may answer althouth my experience with them is that they are less than helpful. I'll send your picture to my friend Roger Lucy who may be able to answer this question.

Regards,

Gordon

Pete,

My friend Roger has replied and reminded me about the Heimwehr helmets used following WWI. I had neglected to consider them. They are nuch nore likely candidates because they used much smaller badges than the two I sent you pictures of earlier. Here are some photos of Heimwehr helmets from Ludwig Baer's Book Von Stahlhelm zum Gefechtshelm. The full page shows some helmets with badges and others that just had their insignia painted on. The other photos show helmets with metal badges. He also suggested some resources for you. Dr. Guenther Dirrheimer of the Army Museum in Vienna or closer to home for me, Tamas Baczoni in the Hungarian Military Museum here in Budapest.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig