News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean Chungmu

John5813

How common was this award? I have seen references of it awarded with a gold or silver star and recipients getting both. I have also heard that it was South korea's highest bravery award sen that foreigners did receive it. Thanks in advance.

John

• 2 months later...

How common was this award? I have seen references of it awarded with a gold or silver star and recipients getting both. I have also heard that it was South korea's highest bravery award sen that foreigners did receive it. Thanks in advance.

John

Is there is picture with this?

Chungmu is one of the series of South Korean military bravery awards, higher than the more commonly awarded Wharang. Both can be awarded to foreigners.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I should have been more complete in my previous post.

The ROK Order of Military Merit has five classes, similar to most European orders.

1. Taegeug - Solid red sash, badge and breast star

2. Eulji - Neck badge and breast star - pink ribbon w/ 4 side stripes each side

3. Chungmu - Neck badge only- pink ribbon w/ 3 side stripes each side

4. Hwarang - breast badge with rosette on dark red ribbon w/ 2 side stripes each side (Sometimes also spelt Wharang)

5. Inheon - breast badge w/ vivid medium blue ribbon, 1 side stripe each side

The modern badge is an eight-pointed, multi-rayed star with a red-enamelled disc and gold emblem in the center. It is suspended from a gold wreath with center five-pointed star. (Different badges and ribbons were used during the Korean War period. For example, the Hwarang badge is a five-armed white-enamelled cross with convex ends. It has an azure disc and gold/silver center emblem superimposed on a red disc with gold embellishments. )

To quote the ROK Ministry of Government Administration, it is "...Conferred upon those who have rendered distinguished conduct during active participation in combat" As you can imagine, it is not very common these days. (In general, the Koreans are not overly-generous in individual awards.)

The other ROK order often awarded to the military is the Order of National Security Military Merit, "...Conferred upon those who have rendered distinguished conduct for the national security", i.e., non-combat. The grades for this order are:

1. Tong-Il - Solid red sash

2. Gugseon - Ribbon - purple with 4 white side stripes each side

3. Cheonsu - Ribbon - red with 3 white side stripes each side

4. Samil - Ribbon - yelloe-orange with 2 white side stripes each side and rosette

5. Gwangbog - Ribbon - medium-light green with 1 white side stripe each side

The modern badge is a six-armed white enamelled cross with red side rays on each arm and a gold embellishment between the arms. The center is the Korean Taeguk national emblem, representing Yin and Yang (as seen on their flag). The badge is suspended from a gold castle-like device.

Many of my Korean officer friends (mostly field grade or general officer) have received some level of this award.

I'll try to do some scans later. Would still like to see a scan of your item. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

Here's a scan of the current Chungmu.

Sorry, this is not Chungmu; it's the Class 3 Order of National Security Merit (Bo-Kook Hun-Jang Cheonsu-Jang). Fingers got ahead of my brain.